Why Not Sunlight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've never stopped to question, how come we don't just use sunlight for planted tanks? I know some places don't see much sun during the winter, but in California, even when it's cold I see the sun. Can the sun be used?

Direct sunlight would cause too many algae issues, even with fast growing plants. If you were to have sun light you would need to set up CO2 and a fert regime in order to keep algae under control. I found that a little indirect sunlight doesnt harm the tank very much but if you get algae that is the first thing. Its mainly an Algae Issue lol.

What is it about direct sunless that causes algae over our bulbs? I'd have to imagine with proper carbon and fertilizers, there has to be some amount of sunlight that would work out. Then you can put blinds on timers.

Direct Sunlight is much more intense than our bulbs. The Sunlight will not make our plants grow very much but will cause algae to spread due to the intesity level. Algae needs a minor inbalance, such as intesity or micro ferts, in order to bloom. I will try to find a link to a discussion about this for more clarity on this as I am not fully here (homework on mind). However, I do think if you tossed in many plants at one time that are nutrient abosrbers you are capable of curving the algae a bit. But you would want to make sure you do water changes to remove excess nutrients. Here is a link where they discuss this.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lighting/57802-trying-hard-use-sunlight-no-co2.html

Tom Barr also adds his two cents in on it.

Well you would still definitely run a dosing method such as EI and do water changes. Is there any approximate formula for sunlight compared to other bulbs?

There is not. Because Bulbs are constant until they start loseing intensity and usually that change is subtle. Sunlight varies. So a formula could not be helpful as it would not work for many.

I've never stopped to question, how come we don't just use sunlight for planted tanks? I know some places don't see much sun during the winter, but in California, even when it's cold I see the sun. Can the sun be used?

In general sunlight causes more algae headaches than not. Most people on this forum find it much easier to avoid direct sunlight and stick to artifiical lighting which can be controlled. If done right sunlight can be used and can create some pretty stunning results. If you're interested in using sunlight for your aquarium, I recommend checking out Diane Walstad's "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium". While her reasoning behind why her methods work is often flawed, her methods do indeed work.

it seems to me that Travis had a planted tank outside on a balcony in a post long ago....

He might be a good person to ask.

Back
Top Bottom