wich tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madchild24

Aquarium Advice Activist
im thinking of starting a saltwater tank.
im doing some research.

what would be the best sixed tank thats under 100 gals?
and what other equipment would i need?
and what substrate?
if u could tell me everything i need to make one up and running?
if u could post cost it would be evening better
doesnt matter if its in usd canadain or euro.

First purchase: The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner

It's gonna tell you everything you need for equipment. Cost depends on tank size, specific equipment used, online vs. LFS, as well as optional equipment.

I agree with Malkore. The Conscientious Marine Aquarist book is a very good book. And unless you have unlimited resources, your funds will also determine what size tank to get. Your tank size will then help determine what other equipment is needed, and so forth. I would suggest getting the largest tank you can afford because it's easier to keep a larger tank stable, but keep in mind, larger tanks mean more ph's, more live rock, more sand, more lighting, larger skimmer, etc.

I have a 75 gallon, I love it. THe tank is just the right size and is still great for viewing. I have a 29 gallon sump on mine 1 HOB overflow rated at 1200. 4 maxi jet 1200s and metal halide/power compact lighting. 150# of live rock and asm g4x protein skimmer. The only thing I would change is getting the tank reef ready

madchild24 said:
im ordering the book..

(y)

Are your intentions to do fish only, fowlr or reef tank? Hopefully the 5g is just to be used as a QT tank/hospital tank.

My first suggestion (after reading the book) would be to do go with a live rock filtration. Get about 100-150lbs of liverock. Depending on where you get it, it will cost you 3-9bucks a pound. You could go bare bottom but I prefer a sand bed. You can get play sand for about 6-8bucks a bag. Unless you buy it through you lfs and then it will probably be twice that much. You'll need a couple nice size powerheads for flow. The general rule is 10x's the gallons but the more the better. 15-25bucks depending on the size and brand of ph you get. I like maxi-jets. Then you can start cycling the tank. I suggest a couple raw shrimp from your grocery seafood counter.
Or, you could use mechanical filtration. I know nothing about that though. I assume a couple canister filters would be needed.
While your cycling, continue to research and decide what you want out of the tank. That will determine what skimmers are suggested, and what lights.

you might want to go bigger on the QT tank, chances are your gonna want to have bigger fish if your gonna go with a tank 75+. I say a 20 long should do you good for most bigger fish, 5 is way to risky IMO, and there not very expensive.

HTH,

Good luck

And I would recommend a sump for a tank that size. They aren't hard to build and they hide extra equipment so your tank looks clean, give you more water added to your tank therefore its more stable, and a refugium can be incorporated for nutrient export..

Back
Top Bottom