Will a 5g cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tjohanso

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 5g freshwater planted in my son's room. It has been up & running for over a month & I am wondering if it will ever fully cycle like my 29g will??????
I test it daily with my API liquid kit & have been doing daily 75% PWC's.
Today the tests were Temp 80, PH 7.6, High Range PH 8.0, Ammo 1.0, Nitrite .25, Nitrate 10ppm. I did a 90% PWC after today's test & really vaccummed the gravel to make sure it's really clean. I feed twice daily at small amounts.
My tapwater is Ammo 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5.0, PH 7.6, & High Range PH 7.4.
My 29G is almost cycled & it was set up a week before the 5G. I have 5 Guppies in it(1M & 4F).

Thanks for the help in advance. (y)

a teaspoon will cycle. That said, feeding your fish twice a day isn't helping matters any. What's in the 5g? I couldn't tell if that's what you put in the 29 or the 5.

The 5G has the 5 guppies. I feed them twice daily & it's just enough that they all get a meal. When I vacuumed today it was some poop & a little food. I vacuumed down to about a half gallon in the tank too. I wanted to get a good cleaning on it. I vacuum every other day right now too.
I will reduce to 1 feeding a day though.:facepalm:
I read a few posts here & it sounded like anything smaller than a 10G wouldn't cycle so I kinda thought I was in that boat. But I'm glad to hear it will cycle.
Any other suggestions?

I'd reduce to one feeding every other day. Any food on the bottom means you're feeding too much. I only feed every 2-3 days. Other than that, just keep an eye on nitrite and ammonia and make sure you try and keep them at .5ppm or lower

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom