Will a snowflake eel eat my fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jasonrusso

Aquarium Advice Freak
I did a tank transfer over the weekend and due to the stress I lost my beloved dwarf golden moray. I had him for 4+ years. When I got him, I had a 75 gallon so I didn't want to get a full size eel. I've since moved up to a 150, and now to a 225. Now that he is gone I need to have another eel.

All the LFS usually stock snowflake eels. How fish safe are these eels? I have trained various lions, anglers, and my DGM to eat prepared food off of a stick or tongs. I plan on doing the same with a snowflake.

In the tank right now is a BIG porcupine puffer, 5" harlequin tusk, 3-4" Kole Tang, 4" foxface, and a 2-3" angler.

I plan on getting a dwarf to medium size lion, but will a small (for now) snowflake bother my current fish? If I teach him to eat off a stick, will he learn that? After the lion is added, I plan on buying some small green chromis from time to time to add to the tank for the angler, lion, and eel to hunt. I did a tank transfer over the weekend and due to the stress I lost my beloved dwarf golden moray. I had him for 4+ years. When I got him, I had a 75 gallon so I didn't want to get a full size eel. I've since moved up to a 150, and now to a 225. Now that he is gone I need to have another eel.

All the LFS usually stock snowflake eels. How fish safe are these eels? I have trained various lions, anglers, and my DGM to eat prepared food off of a stick or tongs. I plan on doing the same with a snowflake.

In the tank right now is a BIG porcupine puffer, 5" harlequin tusk, 3-4" Kole Tang, 4" foxface, and a 2-3" angler.

I plan on getting a dwarf to medium size lion, but will a small (for now) snowflake bother my current fish? If I teach him to eat off a stick, will he learn that? After the lion is added, I plan on buying some small green chromis from time to time to add to the tank for the angler, lion, and eel to hunt.

I did a tank transfer over the weekend and due to the stress I lost my beloved dwarf golden moray. I had him for 4+ years. When I got him, I had a 75 gallon so I didn't want to get a full size eel. I've since moved up to a 150, and now to a 225. Now that he is gone I need to have another eel.

I plan on getting a dwarf to medium size lion, but will a small (for now) snowflake bother my current fish? If I teach him to eat off a stick, will he learn that? After the lion is added, I plan on buying some small green chromis from time to time to add to the tank for the angler, lion, and eel to hunt.

You could be able to train a snowflake to eat just like any other eel, lion, or angler. Though at the end of the day, if the eel decides to fit a fish in its mouth it can and most likely will if it thinks it can take it. Large aggressive fish should be just fine, but I have my doubts with an angler.

you can train them to eat prepared food yes but it's no guarantee that will stop them going after small prey , most predatory fish go on ( instincts ) if they see a opportunity they will take it .

you can curve that by keeping them well fed , but if it's going to happen it's going to happen it's just nature doing it's thing

Back
Top Bottom