Will FW bacteria seeded media jump start a SW tank cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCFatz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The reason I ask is because the exact same method is used to achieve a fishless cycle in SW as in FW if you consider the shrimp route.

AND the same bacteria developes as well (or at least as far as I can tell).

I've used the transfer method on my last two FW tanks with minimal spikes and very quick mini cycles.
So I'm trying to figure out if it will work from FW to SW...and if the answer is no,does anyone know why not?

The yes or no I can live with either way,but the understanding that comes with knowing why not (if no) will help get my head straight concerning the differences between FW and SW at the bacterial level.

IMO, they should be different. Fish, being the higher class (?) organism can't even tolerate a change of .030+ (?) in salinity, so as for bacteria, being the way lower class organism, shouldnt be able to handle that much of a change in salinity between FW and SW

FishFrik said:
IMO, they should be different. Fish, being the higher class (?) organism can't even tolerate a change of .030+ (?) in salinity, so as for bacteria, being the way lower class organism, shouldnt be able to handle that much of a change in salinity between FW and SW
do not quote me on this, but i think it should be the other way around, most bacterial are VERY adaptable, they have been through 4 billion years, and really have not changed all that much!

if your doing a fishless cycle you can try it out and let use all know!

If it continues to be a point of debate and/or curiosity thats exactly what I'll do ;)....but I imagine the answer is out there already.

Being brand new to sw will be a obvious disadvantage to the study results as I will screw other stuff up that will impact the results no doubt lol.

In all seriousness,I will give it a go if I'm not convinced it won't work and find out for myself....especially if many others are wondering too.

SCFatz said:

If it continues to be a point of debate and/or curiosity thats exactly what I'll do ;)....but I imagine the answer is out there already.

Being brand new to sw will be a obvious disadvantage to the study results as I will screw other stuff up that will impact the results no doubt lol.

In all seriousness,I will give it a go if I'm not convinced it won't work and find out for myself....especially if many others are wondering too.
i would be interested, SOME DAY i too would like to try SW. and am always looking for a way to "Cheat" a cycle! lol :lol:

SCFatz..

Why not go to PetPros, they have a wall of saltwater tanks, I'm sure Matt would give you some media from the filtration system and then you'd be seeded.

The bacteria is different and is not "changeable". That is why when you clean your sponges and rinse media off during maintenance, it is very important to use tankwater to do it in. Otherwise, you run the risk of killing the bacteria.

That is why when you clean your sponges and rinse media off during maintenance, it is very important to use tankwater to do it in. Otherwise, you run the risk of killing the bacteria.

DOH. I've been killing alot of beneficial bacteria then

Yes , when I had my 55 I was told to always clean the filter media in SW as FW would kill off the good bacteria

Ice...its not a question of just getting seeded exactly...and thats not a bad idea at all...just trying to learn something about the difference/tranferability of bacteria between fresh and salt systems.

The bacteria is different and is not "changeable"
.Can you expand on this a bit Hara?

That is why when you clean your sponges and rinse media off during maintenance, it is very important to use tankwater to do it in. Otherwise, you run the risk of killing the bacteria.
Thats what I do with all of my filter media now in my fw tanks to avoid die off...I assume the same holds true for SW.

I'm lost on how it applys to the intial post though...I'm missing something I suppose.

Thanks Deveilishturtles.The answer to "is it different?" is in there...

From the link:
Most of the products tested using the saltwater formula claimed to be capable of working in both saltwater and freshwater, however marine species of Nitrobacter and Nitrosomonas differ from those that live in freshwater. Therefore it is believed that these products actually contained only the freshwater species, since they were able to convert ammonia to nitrate in the freshwater testing but failed to produce results when placed in a saltwater environment.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom