Will i regret it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Etunes

Aquarium Advice Addict
My dad keeps telling me that i am going to regret having a SW tank. Do you guys think i will regret it? I really like FW and never done a SW. I would be fine keeping with Fw but i kinda want to venture a little bit so i was gonna try a SW. I know it is more work and my dad said if i do this I will have to pay part of the electric bill because of the 400w MH pendent i am running. So i turn to you guys for advice once again asking you whether you think i will regret it? This is the last chance i will have to turn back.

It may not seem like it at first,(and im one to know lol) But seeing all of these mature tanks that have been up and running for years.. months even, just blow my mind away. The reason i started my SW tank is because i love the ocean, i love the water, and i love reefs. They're all so amazing. So my mindset is that, it may take a while, and it may be a bit of work, but the rewards at the end of the road, will make it way more worth its while. I will be doing SW for as long as i can.

So in other words, i think its worth it lol.

Either he really wants to talk you out of it or he had a bad experience himself in the past. I could think of nothing else I would like to spend 20% of my paycheck on monthly...lol.
BTW (I live on base housing=no electric bill):cool:

there is NOTHING you will regret from having a SW tank. I do not regret it one bit! Only thing you may regret is not doing things the right way - or the way you want it. Also the $$ but those are all little things. Its an awesome learning experience too.

Well, the only downside to sw is that you won't want to leave the tank since everyday something new with your tank happens like new critters popping up etc....I don't regret it one bit. I'm even upgrading to a 75 errr...150 in a few months.

It's so worth it. Don't let anyone talk you out of it. Just remember one crucial SW thing: Nothing good ever happens fast. :D
Also if you do start reasearch everything first and find a good reliable LFS. And there is always us! :D Good luck if you choose to start man! :D

I had the same worries when starting, I have only a 29 gallon FOWLR tank, but is the best thing I have ever done. Just remember, as others say, take your time, consult with a good LFS, and the others on here are SUPER HELPFUL!! After Just 8 months of running a FOWLR, I have it down to a science with feeding, cleaning(not much involved since all my critters take care of things for me). I hope you get a chance to experience it!!

if you think you want to try a sw tank try it now while you dont need to spend the money on life (mortgage, car, kids, lots of other bills) and by the time you do have those you will have a nice tank to take with you.
i think you will regret it if you dont try.

I, like everyone else, say go for it. It really is an awesome experience and having had FW tanks all my life, having a SW is so much more rewarding and its so different. It really does teach you some discipline and responsibility so just do it!

I've had aquariums for about nine years. My only regret is that I didn't get into SW sooner, lol. I still love FW, but you just can't compare the biodiversity living on just one piece of live rock let alone the whole tank.

I set up my tank about a month ago and I'm loving every minute of it.

I want to thank you guys for your support. I really needed it. I think i am still going for it. I have a special place in my heart for FW and i doubt SW could take that spot but you never know. Again, thanks guys.

Quick question for my dad. I broke the news to him last night about keeping a trashcan with water in it to mix the salt into the water. So i ask you where do you keep your mixing container? Also what kind of salt do you use?

IME there seems to be more work/maint than FW but if you do about 15-20 mins a day it`s not really that bad. I`m glad I made the switch.

Yeah I have been tossing the idea around as well. But the ex wife/child support makes it a bit cost prohibitive at the moment.

Not sure where you are living or how old you are. Tell your dad you will cut lawns/landscape or flip burgers or find some sort of part time job in order to help pay the electric bill and other things you will need for the tank. That should tell him how serious you are when you follow through on the promise to find a job to help pay for your hobby.

For me, I know right now I don't think I have teh time or money to go SW but I would like to.

Listen to the folks on here as they are very helpful. I have learned a lot in a short time about FW.

Not sure where you are living or how old you are. Tell your dad you will cut lawns/landscape or flip burgers or find some sort of part time job in order to help pay the electric bill and other things you will need for the tank. That should tell him how serious you are when you follow through on the promise to find a job to help pay for your hobby.

For me, I know right now I don't think I have teh time or money to go SW but I would like to.

Listen to the folks on here as they are very helpful. I have learned a lot in a short time about FW.

I am 17, i have been keeping FW fish by myself for about 6 years now, and before that me and my dad have always done fish together. He dosen't like SW because he doesn't want to do the work. And he is finally starting to support me a little bit and i am getting happier about the situation now. He is not necessarily liking it, but he does support me with my fish keeping. I think he is scared that i am going to move out and leave all the fish behind for him to take care of. He says he is tired of having the responsibilities of a animal owner do to he has been doing it his whole life which i can understand. Even though i complain i really am lucky that he is supportive. As of the job aspect i work part time at a sports bar called beef o bradys. And yes, they are making me pay the electric bill for this aquarium obsession i have. My parents did this anyways with all my brothers and sisters (i am the youngest). When we get older and have a job we take over 1 bill to used to being on our own and paying bills. It is just instead of paying part of the electric bill or taking over a cheaper bill i am paying the electric bill completely do to the fish tanks i have.

I am 17, i have been keeping FW fish by myself for about 6 years now, and before that me and my dad have always done fish together. He dosen't like SW because he doesn't want to do the work. And he is finally starting to support me a little bit and i am getting happier about the situation now. He is not necessarily liking it, but he does support me with my fish keeping. I think he is scared that i am going to move out and leave all the fish behind for him to take care of. He says he is tired of having the responsibilities of a animal owner do to he has been doing it his whole life which i can understand. Even though i complain i really am lucky that he is supportive. As of the job aspect i work part time at a sports bar called beef o bradys. And yes, they are making me pay the electric bill for this aquarium obsession i have. My parents did this anyways with all my brothers and sisters (i am the youngest). When we get older and have a job we take over 1 bill to used to being on our own and paying bills. It is just instead of paying part of the electric bill or taking over a cheaper bill i am paying the electric bill completely do to the fish tanks i have.

Well hey, that sounds good to me. At least it teaches you some responsibility and if you really want the SW, then go for it. Never not do something that you really want because of other people and if your dad supports you and you can pay the bill then why not! :razz:

I like that, that's a good way to learn. I know some people now who can't deal with money at all because their parents paid for everything.

Your dad will enjoy it once he sees it, i'm sure. It's different seeing the fish and thinking about it and having them in the living room. :)

Back
Top Bottom