Will newts be okay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yilduz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm planning a paludarium for a 55 gallon tank, and so far I've decided I want a Hammers Cobalt Blue Lobster, Ghost Shrimp, and newts of some sort (in addition to some fish about 3-4 inches long). Will newts be okay in an environment like this? Should I worry about something trying to kill them, or them trying to eat anything else? I don't know a lot about newts, but I was thinking about having salamanders before someone talked me out of it for fear that they'd eat the shrimp, and suggested newts as an alternative.

I honestly think that you'll have to choose between the blue lobster or the newts. More than likely, the lobster would make a meal out of your newt. I used to have one and they can get pretty big and even catch fish.

If you go with the newt, he'll probably eat the ghost shrimp, but they come a dime a dozen.

The lobster and shrimp will nip at the newts. Lobster will most likely kill and eat them. Bad combo. Newts will either eat or be eaten. So either go with them alone or pick something else like only fish.

That's kind of what I was figuring. From what I've read about people that have the lobster, they generally leave the shrimp and fish alone - but I've never seen anything by anyone that owns the lobster and newts, so I wasn't sure about that combo. Oh well.

I definitely want the hammers cobalt blue lobster and ghost shrimp because they're so cool, but I like variety, especially since I plan on having my tank be part land and part water. Anyone have any suggestions?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom