Will plants help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bdp242

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering if live plants would help reduce amonia levels in a freshwater tank?

Very tiny amount depending on if if it is in a usable form for the plant. But they really don't reduce ammonia at all. However, plants DO reduce nitrates for sure!

Its probably more important to know why theres ammonia in the tank in the first place (present in your tap, cycling, overstocked, overfeeding?) and the amount of ammonia thats present if theres fish in the tank. Some more info will help! :)

Yes they will. Aquatic plants consume ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. If you are having ammonia issues you need to look at WHY it is high. Is the tank cycled? Is it being over fed? Too many fish?
If you have ammonia you need to do as many water changes it takes to get it down.

For more information, I had over feed my fish so I had decaying food and more poop. I have been siphining it out and alot of water changes. It seems like the level is going down slowly

I have 5 platies in there and all seem to be doing well

Yea ive had it running since december 23rd. I had the amonia level down to .5. Its like a 2 now. It was a 4 the other day before I started water changes

2 is still very high. Keep up the water changes! Are you getting any nitrite or nitrate readings or just ammonia? Have you changed anything in the tank like filter pads?

I changed the filter 2 weeks ago and im getting just amonia.

bdp242 said:
I changed the filter 2 weeks ago and im getting just amonia.

Well there's your problem!!
Don't change filter media just swish it in a bucket of tank water to remove the gunk. By throwing it out you have thrown your tank into a mini cycle. You new to keep testing and doing water changes until the bacteria has multiplied to a level that can support your fish again.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html
Follow this guide.

I have a ten gallon with the light that came with the aquarium. It was the kit.

I have a ten gallon with the light that came with the aquarium. It was the kit.

Then go for it. Run down to the lfs, pick up a moss rock (if you like those), a Java Fern or 2 (attach to a rock or driftwood with some thread), and an Amazon Sword.

Fish love real plants.

Adding live plants has drastically helped improve my water parameters. I say go for it! I'm finding it's a bit tricky getting it started. But they're beautiful and they really helped me and my sweet fish. :)

What plants are low maintance and good for beginners?

Back
Top Bottom