Will plecos eat ottos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyanBenson

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My friend has 2 clown plecos and recently added 3 otocinclus.. We found one dead but can't find the other 2 and the water has random debris in the water. We think the plecos might have eaten them. Any input or advice on this??

I'm not sure if I'm 100% accurate here so correct me if I'm wrong but I think that a Pleco will kill something if it tries to kill it

I'm not sure if I'm 100% accurate here so correct me if I'm wrong but I think that a Pleco will kill something if it tries to kill it

Hm, well I don't know about how they act together so ill take what I can get! Thanks!

No your pleco is not to blame. Ottos are delicate little fish- very sensitive to water quality, are dependent almost totally for natural algae and biofilm in the tank for their food source, and are excellent at performing vanishing acts.

No your pleco is not to blame. Ottos are delicate little fish- very sensitive to water quality, are dependent almost totally for natural algae and biofilm in the tank for their food source, and are excellent at performing vanishing acts.

Oh I see...

Make sure they are not stuck to the filter intake. They could have went up to the filter tube for a meal and got sucked up to it if there is nothing like a pre filter sponge or foam to prevent such a thing.

My friend has 2 clown plecos and recently added 3 otocinclus.. We found one dead but can't find the other 2 and the water has random debris in the water. We think the plecos might have eaten them. Any input or advice on this??

as said ottos are sensitive, but they are also wild caught using debatable methods such as cyanide, so having ottos is pretty much hit or miss for the most part, though if you can get one to survive for more then a few months then you should be good.

Make sure they are not stuck to the filter intake. They could have went up to the filter tube for a meal and got sucked up to it if there is nothing like a pre filter sponge or foam to prevent such a thing.

We'll be sure to check!! Thanks!

as said ottos are sensitive, but they are also wild caught using debatable methods such as cyanide, so having ottos is pretty much hit or miss for the most part, though if you can get one to survive for more then a few months then you should be good.

Ah I see, yeah we have yet to find the others so they might be in the filter intake lol!

Back
Top Bottom