Will purigen lower my nitrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grode15

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i bought purigen for my fluval c4 a couple months ago, but didn't use it yet because i still had some activated carbon bags left over for my fluval c4,so i wanted those to use those first so they i didn't buy them for nothing. So my question is will purigen lower my nitrates? I test my water parameters at least once a week sometimes more, and my water parameters are always ph:6.5, ammonia:0, nitrites:0,and nitrates:5. Im just worried that if i use purigen it will bring my nitrates down to 0 and my tank will have to cycle again. All comments will be appreciated, thanks. :)

If the nitrates drop to zero it just means you have aerobic and anaerobic bacteria to complete the nitrogen cycle. A lot of people would love that.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Don't confuse "wait for zero ammonia, zero nitrites, and positive nitrates" with "you must have postive nitrates all the time".

The point of cycling instructions is until you see ammonia turn (via nitrites) into nitrates, you are not cycled. But once that happens getting rid of nitrates does no harm, and does not cause a new cycle.

You only have a new cycle going if you start seeing (other than momentarily) ammonia or nitrites.

And from what I understand no, purigen does not remove nitrates.

Purigen will from my understandings help lower nitrates (a good thing)

Purigen does indeed lower nitrates. I was consistently seeing 20+ nitrates between water changes prior to adding it to my filter, and now I get 0-5. Make sure you refresh it when it gets brown and gunky, or it will stop working (usually at the 3-6 month mark depending on how much organic waste such as food or plant debris is going through your filter).

I think it just traps the crap that would otherwise settle in substrate and slowly cause nitrates to rise? If im not mistaken, the only thing that can actually lower nitrates is a water change..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Purigen sounds like a anaerobic bacteria media in a very broad way. Basically it takes nitrogenous chemicals and breaks them down before they can turn into harmful chemicals. I have not ran it but plan to run it and carbon in my I'm my new tank.

Also anaerobic bacteria and planted tanks help break down nitrates. A good colony if anaerobic and plants will complete the nitrogen cycle. ease note that it will not eliminate them all together in most cases. Considering bio load vs the amount your plants eat and the amount that your Bb will neutralize. Every tanks bio filter and bio load is different.

If im not mistaken, the only thing that can actually lower nitrates is a water change..

Plants.

Purigen sounds like a anaerobic bacteria media in a very broad way. Basically it takes nitrogenous chemicals and breaks them down ...

No, it entraps it. Think of it like a selective air filter, that might catch only pollen. Eventually it gets full of what it traps and stops working, but what it traps has not changed to something else.

Plants.

No, it entraps it. Think of it like a selective air filter, that might catch only pollen. Eventually it gets full of what it traps and stops working, but what it traps has not changed to something else.

Thank you for the info. I do believe however the rest of my comment stands if this incorrect please correct me or give thumbs up to spread the word to others that may not know.

Plants.

Touche, i should have been more specific.. plants consume nitrates yes..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for all the answers it helped a lot.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you for the info. I do believe however the rest of my comment stands if this incorrect please correct me or give thumbs up to spread the word to others that may not know.

Absolutely, sorry if I gave offense. The reason for the elaboration is that it is important to distinguish from BB (etc) that are ongoing (even growing) processes, and do not need replacement/replenishment. Purigen just plain gets full and needs to be regenerated.

Absolutely, sorry if I gave offense. The reason for the elaboration is that it is important to distinguish from BB (etc) that are ongoing (even growing) processes, and do not need replacement/replenishment. Purigen just plain gets full and needs to be regenerated.

No offense taken man I appreciate the information

Back
Top Bottom