Will this light grow plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mitchfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am going to get a coralife t-5 light with one 10,000 k light (24 watts) and an actinic (24 watts). Will that grow most plants? I know that an actinic is a little abnormal for freshwater but it looks great to me with the 10,000 k. I love the way it makes the white light look much more neutral, and the fish look so good even though the light appears darker. Does anybody agree? I have a 26 gallon bow front btw. I might get real plants so this is why I ask. Thanks

What kind of plants do you want to grow? I think you would have limited success with some low light plants with that light.

ya i don't plan on keeping any plants that require any more than 2 watts per gallon like the amazon sword, anacharis, anubias ect.

You effectively only have less than 1 WPG. Actinic bulbs do not provide usable light to FW plants.

Some blue, yes. But more beneficial is peaks in red. Actinics will grow simple photosynthetic organisms like algae and light dependent bacteria, but are not beneficial to plants.

Then what lights would grow plants but not make the tank look horrendously bright?

Lol none unfortunately. Photosynthesis in FW plants requires visible light.

well the coralife that im going to get has four options:

10,000 k
6,7000 k
actinic
nutrigrow (for plants) 6,500 k i think?

Which two do you recomend for a moderate lighting?

If you could try getting two 24watt 10000k bulb instead of one actinic and one normal bulb, that would give you more than 2 watts per gallon which brings you to moderate lighting. But if you really cannot stand that brightness shining throughout the tank, you can probably get some floaters plants to cover some of he surface area. Just a thought.

I think im going to go with a 10000k and a 6500k nutrigrow because from what ive seen they look good together and they will be able to grow plants pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom