Will this stand work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're mistaken. I could remove the bottom molding, brace the entire bottom and it would work perfectly. You're questioning 3/4" to 1" oak and suggesting particle board is superior?? Have you checked out the latest stands for these tanks? I think my lack of ability to accurately describe what my very successful contractor guy shared with me is causing some confusion.

No you are mistaken, and your "very successful contractor" may be questionable at best. I never suggested particle board? Not sure if you imagined that or????

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No you are mistaken, and your "very successful contractor" may be questionable at best. I never suggested particle board? Not sure if you imagined that or????

I just assumed you were comparing my desk to the many cheaply made, overpriced stands on the market. I was simply stating that with minor adjustments my "desk" would make a great stand, according to a credible source.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also since you are an expert now is it 3/4 or 1"? It doesn't make much difference, it still doesn't have 2x4" or 2x6" bracing using a butt joint. You know what those terms mean? It means I know what I'm talking about ;)

Whoa, calm down.

I just assumed you were comparing my desk to the many cheaply made, overpriced stands on the market. I was simply stating that with minor adjustments my "desk" would make a great stand, according to a credible source.

No, I would never suggest a store bought stand for anything over a 29 gallon, they are crap. I was referring to a built 2x4 stand, one built correctly using butt joints and coated hardware. I'm a fabricator by trade, hence my remarks. To support a 800+ plus pound tank you need to do it right.

I'm also not sure if you remember but I was the person who helped advise you on the snapping turtle you were keeping.

Im calm, and happy as a lark, just wondering if you knew what you were talking about after your contractor visit. I apologize if you feel I overstepped, and I will walk away.

No, I would never suggest a store bought stand for anything over a 29 gallon, they are crap. I was referring to a built 2x4 stand, one built correctly using butt joints and coated hardware. I'm a fabricator by trade, hence my remarks. To support a 800+ plus pound tank you need to do it right.

I'm also not sure if you remember but I was the person who helped advise you on the snapping turtle you were keeping.

I absolutely do remember and I have lots of respect for your opinions. I honestly believe that I am not properly conveying what my contractor guys suggested, however he did say that with some adjustments the desk would definitely work. My dad and I built a stand for my 40b turtle tank so I do have some experience with requirements referring to weight and tank requirements. Expert? No.

An important factor that comes into play is how the material is joined. Most good old oak furniture is built with dovetail joints and glue- very, very effective for holding the wood together and maybe a couple of pounds on top of it.

Those flimsy cheap stands you're talking about? $30 at a big box store? Usually painted welded angle iron.

Those massive collections of lumber and screws that people are suggesting are pressure treated wood and connections that are secured on each end of the fastener.

That big beautiful piece of furniture will shift and separate, but you could throw those cheap ugly stands down the stairs without breaking them. Maybe bend, but not break. The DIY build would break the stairs.

Yes I dropped sink frame down the stairs once. (ahem)

The people who are posting here speak from experience.

And my husband is a fabricator with a degree in joining technology, so he has had a lot of valuable insights on putting heavy objects on other objects.

I absolutely do remember and I have lots of respect for your opinions. I honestly believe that I am not properly conveying what my contractor guys suggested, however he did say that with some adjustments the desk would definitely work. My dad and I built a stand for my 40b turtle tank so I do have some experience with requirements referring to weight and tank requirements. Expert? No.

Ok, and I'm sorry if my post came off abrasive, it's just that 800 pounds of water crashing into your floor can cause a really bad day. Good luck, you may need to build a stand for this one, personally on a tank this heavy I don't trust anything I didn't assemble.

Well, like I said, rather than being impulsive and carrying on with this potential disaster, I listened to you guys...and the contractor, and I decided to sell the desk. I don't want to fool with the modifications necessary to make it work.
Next concern...I don't think I can build a stand capable of holding this much weight. My lfs guy has one, but like I mentioned before, can I trust it?? I'm so paranoid about this tank!!! K

Well, like I said, rather than being impulsive and carrying on with this potential disaster, I listened to you guys...and the contractor, and I decided to sell the desk. I don't want to fool with the modifications necessary to make it work.
Next concern...I don't think I can build a stand capable of holding this much weight. My lfs guy has one, but like I mentioned before, can I trust it?? I'm so paranoid about this tank!!! K

Stands sold are mass produced. And they are designed for it. It's all about the design. They won't look any stronger than the one you had. That's why in my opinion and I would have used your original with minor modification on the bottom under the trim. What is usually overlooked is proper levelling of the stand which if not done can cause stress on the glass causing it to crack. And when it does most will blame the stand even though that wasn't the problem.

If you can post a pic of the stand at the lfs I can tell you quickly if it will last or not. Like I said I'm hesitant on store-bought stands holding more than a few hundred pounds(Google store bought aquarium stand failures, it happens all too often). If the stand is of solid construction using screws and 2x4's that sit on top of each other it should be pretty solid. My concern is if the stand is made entirely of pressed or ply wood. With this much weight you want a 2x4 perimeter frame to bear the load, not pieces of plywood glued and nailed together.

Here is the theory and I'll make it simple. Stand one board up its flimsy. Put two together into an L shape it's much stronger. Add another and make it a c shape and it's really strong. Add minor supports across the front where the drawers are and you could almost park a car on it. Since there is two sides built like that it's even better. This is all providing the bottom is braced under the trim. Your theory is simply you puffing your chest saying mine is better. Nobody is arguing your way isn't stronger. It is clearly a matter of will this work. And the simple answer is yes if you strengthen the bottom.

Here is the theory and I'll make it simple. Stand one board up its flimsy. Put two together into an L shape it's much stronger. Add another and make it a c shape and it's really strong. Add minor supports across the front where the drawers are and you could almost park a car on it. Since there is two sides built like that it's even better. This is all providing the bottom is braced under the trim. Your theory is simple you puffing your chest saying mine is better. Nobody is arguing your way isn't stronger. It is clearly a matter of will this work. And the simple answer is yes if you strengthen the bottom.

Btw, I wouldn't go parking cars on a tripod stand, they will crash to the ground like a 800 pound tank will on one. This is why we use an age old concept where we..... get this..... put 4 legs, one at each corner to distribute the weight, evenly. We then tie those legs together so we don't have to play the aquatic equivalent of 52 card pickup with the contents of our tanks.

Btw, I wouldn't go parking cars on a tripod stand, they will crash to the ground like a 800 pound tank will on one. This is why we use an age old concept where we..... get this..... put 4 legs, one at each corner to distribute the weight, evenly. We then tie those legs together so we don't have to play the aquatic equivalent of 52 card pickup with the contents of our tanks.

Tripod???? Nothing about it is a tripod.

Idk.. you can have all your L and C shapes. I'll stick with what works.

Essentially underneath I would spread the weight out using what could be best described as eight legs underneath the four short boards. Or four at each corner of the squares. Therefore instead of having 200 lbs per leg if built your way it would have 100 lbs per leg built my way. Therefore displacing the weight much better per sq inch. I'm very confident about what I do and speak of in this matter.

Attention please community members.

Thank you all for pertinent information relating to the topic at hand.

Edits have been made, this thread needs to be posted to with polite, respectful content, differing thoughts or opinions are not uncommon.

Any rude or discourteous posters will be held accountable. Please read the Community Rules for clarification if needed. Thank you.

Do you have access to a power drill and level? You can have the wood cut to size at the lumber yard.

I do, and I'm pretty handy with a drill for a girl haha, but time is an issue here. I sold the tank that the fish are in now and the new owners are picking it up Saturday, so I've got to get the tank up and running asap.

Back
Top Bottom