Windex, anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaaikop

Aquarium Advice Freak
:twisted: Was just curious to find out how you guys clean the outside of
your tanks? I use the good ole windex & scott towels...
with very bad results, LOL the glass is always smeared, I never get it to
look perfect :roll:

What's your secret? 8)

Water/vinager mixture with newspapers or papertowels. Just be sure to spray it in a way that it will not get in the tank, or better yet spray it on the towels/paper instead of directly on the glass.

I use the Safe and Easy aquarium cleaner (made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals) because it doesn't leave any smear marks like windex.

I use a little steam cleaner that I use for a lot of stuff around the house too. Only uses water and gets the glass perfect. I got it for $50 at Target.

thanks for the link! I had missed that one somehow... :oops:
one thing for sure, windex doesn't work for me anyway, not for the tank, and
neither for the house windows, LOL Will give vinegar a try :mrgreen:
I HATE cleaning glasses! :twisted:

Searching through these forums can be perilous!!!!!! That and I noticed it while reading your thread So.. i guess i cant really be called Lady rachel the brave....the crafty... the smart...
Anyways! I just use straight water o.o; it dosnt seem to streak or anything, but then again in my room god knows.. what should works dosnt, and vice versa..

I use 50% H2O 50% Methylated spirits....... I spray it on one of those amway window cloths. Make sure none gets in the tank!

I don't know if you get denatured alcohol in the US, but rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) will work too.

I just use water as I am scared to death of getting even a little bit of harmful chemical in the tank. I mess around with my tank so often though that I always get drips running down it. I really should not be so lazy and just keep the thing clean but oh well. :wink:

I just spray glass cleaner on a paper towel away from the tank and rub down the outside. Haven't had anything croak yet :)
I found 409 glass and surface works good and so does windex with vinegar multi-task. Gets the salt creep and water stains right off.

Same here Fluff. Good ol Windex Wipes. I never have to worry about any chemicals falling into the tank and have never had streaks. It works great on getting calcium build-up off of the back of the tank also (on the hood).

i use water with paper towel wipe it and *snap* clean as a whistle

I did my first post-cycle pwc last night and found that I'm in the habit of just wiping down the front surface of the tank after I get some water all over it while refilling the tank - so just water and one of my raggedy old towels I use to dry things off. No streaks that I've seen, though I have had some in the past.

Never had a streak issue w/ Windex though, the few times I've used it (applied to the paper towel, same as cleaning my monitor).

Most paper towels are going to leave a streak. I don't remember exactly why but I think it was due to binders and additional additives/agents used to in and to form the paper towels. I find using the micro fiber cloths work the best. No solvent needed. Now if the kids have been looking at the fish and I have to get the peanut butter and jelly off the glass then I use windex/409 what ever and use a towel then hit it with the microfiber cloth to remove any streaks.

I too use rubbing alcohol. But I dump a bunch on a paper towel and wipe down the glass. I use rubbing alcohol for all my glass cleaning. absolutely no streaking.

Back
Top Bottom