Winterizing Partially Above-Ground Pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lardeelion

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all.

This is my first post in the pond area. I used to hang around the freshwater aquarium forum, but over the summer I put in a small pond. This is my first winter.

The pond is, I'd say, around 60 gallons. I was able to sink it half-in the ground. Our soil was way rockier than I'd imagined, so the top half of the pond is surrounded by bricks.

It's about ready for winter, but I was wondering if I should be surrounding the pond with straw bales. Thus far, the detritus has been removed, screen in place to catch leaves, lilies are at the bottom, the 2 fish haven't been fed since 55 degrees, and I have ordered a deicer. I have a large piece of plywood that covers the majority of the pond, and the shallow end is exposed so that, for now, the waterfall can continue to run on low volume.

The deepest part of the pond is about 2 feet, with 18 inches below ground. I live in zone...well, near Pittsburgh. 6 I think. Not too much snow. I'm worried about the fish though, with part of the pond being above ground.

Thoughts on straw bales for insulation?

I agree the straw bales won't hurt and may even help. As long as you have a de-icer and you keep an area free of ice, you should be fine!

Back
Top Bottom