Wisteria woes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
My wisteria has been revived by by new light but the bottom half is just wilting and the leaves are just dying.
The top half has new green leaves and even new roots popping out all over but the bottom seems just beyond help.

Is there a safe way to cut it up and replant the good half?

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You can chop the top off and replant it. Make sure you leave plenty of stem to stick into the substrate. You'll probably see some roots forming a little further up the plant... or if you're lucky they'll form roots on the part already under the substrate!

I had the same issue with mine, but after they were trimmed and replanted they took off. My 10 gal looks like a jungle.

When chopping it up should I remove any non green leaves or leave them on the stem. They're not dead per say but just limp and dark dark, much darker than the top leaves, which are new though.

Also need to prune two val blades that are just chewed from snails.

I originally had a nice white gravel path in the tank which was not a good idea lol and now I want to pull the white gravel out and just put more black in its place so I've got some work cut out for me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My wisteria is just taking over my tank. If you get decent (low-med) light and good fertilizers, it will grow like mad. Don't agonize too much over exactly how to plant, I've seen leaves (no stem) float around the tank and develop roots, I've stuck them in substrate and had them grow. In general I'd remove any leaves not healthy looking, while the plant may salvage some benefit from them if they root in the tank it's a lot of bio-load on it.

Here's about 2-3 weeks of growth trimmed and thrown away. That's a paper towel width for context.

i-2WSHHF8-XL.jpg

That's with no CO2, a bit of excel, root tabs and daily iron.

Holy crap lol. I use some root tabs tetra florapride and a good light. No co yet.
Its hysterical. Pre good light it was just dying like mad. Now in like 2 weeks its doubled in height but as it grows it leaves itself behind and dies. Its got root sprouts everywhere. I just moved some that dislodged on there own and planted them. I left them floating a.few days for major light.

Another plant is my red val. I split it when purchased and the smaller half is getting huge but the original has some choppy leaves from death and snails.
Should I remove the entire blade or just the brown and see if it regrows?

Thanks. Can't thank from the app sorry

Here's the wist

Attachments

• 1414701115553.jpg
    1414701115553.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 70
That's the val that's browning and being chewed on

Attachments

• 1414701175650.jpg
    1414701175650.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 63
I've heard two stories on the wisteria broader leaves, one is that they were grown emersed (I doubt this one), one is that they are from different light levels. Regardless, on mine, most, maybe all of them eventually fell off, and only the very spindly leafy kind remained. My guess is yours will also, and you can just cut the stem and plant it in the substrate. Or cut it in more than one place. At least my experience is that it grows sideways, vertical, any way it can.

Another plant is my red val. I split it when purchased and the smaller half is getting huge but the original has some choppy leaves from death and snails.
Should I remove the entire blade or just the brown and see if it regrows?
I have only jungle val, green, the americanus type. When I first got mine I thought all of it was going to die. My impression from what I read is this is frequent if the change in tank parameters is significant, the existing leaves die off, but new ones come in strong. I let each of these (unlike the wisteria) get almost transparent and completely rotten before I cut them off, just because it was so much of the plant, and hoped it could reuse some of the nutrients for the mobile ferts.

By the way, if they are ramshorn or MTS snails, they will only eat the rotting plant, not the healthy. I've heard otherwise for pond and apple but have none of those.

Thanks. Yeah my snails were eating the rotten parts which is fine. Half the reason I have them. I do have pond snails now. I have MTS which I like but have been removing the pond snails. I noticed new egg sacks on one val but oddly my platy seemed to find them tasty and picked most off. I'm leaving some in there because they do a wicked job cleaning the glass and driftwood overnight. If they get nuts then I'll pull my mystery and MTS (some) and unleash the assasins. Plus I want a pea puffer so its a built in food source. Or I can go yoyo loach.
I just noticed the diff wist leaves and honestly like the new leaves better so here's hoping.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom