Woo-Hoo ... I have Nitrite!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjouben

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Before you go huh?

After months of research, I set a tank up two weeks ago, a 20L. I've been testing the parameter's daily, with the same results: pH 7.2, NH3 1.0, NO2 0, NO3 0, temp 78-79. Today I finally broke through .... ph 7.2, NH3 0.5, NO2 5.0, NO3 1.0, temp 78 (I use the AP FW Master Test Kit).

The Hardware:
all-glass 20L tank
all-glass versa-top
current satellite 65W 50/50 (10K/420nm) CF w/ lunar LED
100W stainless heater w/ remote sensor & external controller
Tetra Whisper 40 Air Pump driving a 23" bubble wand
Nutrafin CO2 Natural Plant System (installed, but not activated, yet)

The Substrate:
20lbs Eco-Complete underneath 20lbs Tahitian Moon Sand

The Livestock (put in last saturday):
2.2 Java Ferns (that's right .2, one of the leaves has a root mass w/ 2 little leaves coming out of it already)
4 Glass Shrimp (started with 6, but I took two out because I'm an idiot. A shrimp molting looked a lot like a shrimpl dying. I figured that one out today when I found an extra exoskeleton).

I plan to stock with a school each of Royal Emporer and Black Neon Tetras, maybe Silvertips too. A little group of Julii or Panda Corys would be cute as well. I am also going to add a substaintial number of plants as well including more java ferns, anubias v. nanas, & some cuba (if I can get my hands on it). I saw some really sharp rocks at the LFS, they look like Zebras (its some kind of granite, I think) I'd like to toss in, but driftwood would be better for my plants and more natural looking (haven't decide which way to go yet ... maybe I'll do both).

anyway, I was a little proud with myself for my first go 'round and thought I'd "share my feelings with the group"

Fire away with your questions, comments or cries of outrage!

~rj

ps. I've never had my own aquarium before, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night ...

Welcome to AA!!!

Looks like a nice setup you have there. Glad to here your cycle is progressing. I will be looking forward to pictures.

Back
Top Bottom