Worm in new aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xerxys

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey there. We're new aquarists, and we set up our tank about a month ago. Everything is going (more or less) fine, but then I discovered this little guy in the sand today. We definitely didn't introduce him intentionally, and was wondering if anyone could get me a positive ID on what it is, whether there's likely to be more, if they're friendly/good for the tank, or if I should be burning my tank and burying it in salted ground? (that last one was a joke, btw... unless you recommend it).
img_3044840_0_3f6311191c099f553c4c568643328d04.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Many thanks!

Planaria

Hey there. We're new aquarists, and we set up our tank about a month ago. Everything is going (more or less) fine, but then I discovered this little guy in the sand today. We definitely didn't introduce him intentionally, and was wondering if anyone could get me a positive ID on what it is, whether there's likely to be more, if they're friendly/good for the tank, or if I should be burning my tank and burying it in salted ground? (that last one was a joke, btw... unless you recommend it).
img_3045110_0_3f6311191c099f553c4c568643328d04.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Many thanks!

Hello xerx...

It's likely a planaria worm. Most fish will eat them. They're typically in tanks that get too much food or not enough water changes. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just reduce the amount of food you feed your fish and keep the tank water a bit cleaner. Add a bit larger water change every week or two.

B

The worm looks tubular/cylinder like rather than flat (as in flatworm/planaria). My guess is it is some type of insect larvae.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom