Worms in substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. C

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I’ve had my 55 gallon freshwater tank for over 20 years and this is the first time that I’ve gotten worms. I think they’re detritus worms, but I’d like more confirmation from the community. I’ve attached a video.

Some background.
1). About a year ago, I added plants. I’ve never had good luck with plants, but I periodically keep trying.
2). Tank load is light with 2 clown loaches, 1 good nugget Pleco, and 4 tetras. They seem healthy though the pleco and one loach are very shy. Not unusual.
3) I have a filter that I hang off the back. I’m bad about my water changes.
4). The plants brought snails. The loaches cleared that up and I like them.
5). Recent water change as I’m vacuuming the gravel, I see worms. I just vacuum them up. Obviously I can’t get them all without major effort.

So, my questions:
1). Are they detritus worms?
2). Are they very harmful or should I just be better about my water change?
3). Or should I medicate or tear down?

Thanks everyone

M. Chin

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m definitely no expert, & as far as I know I’ve only had 2 worm experiences. Keeping that in mind, to me that looks more like a leech - how big is it? It looks kinda huge. I don’t know what that is, but I’m almost certain detritus worms are only tiny... and are never black. But like I said, I’m no expert so I could be wrong. Either way, the safe bet would be to use a gravel syphon to give your substrate a thorough cleaning. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help. Hope all goes well with it

Now that you mention it, they could be leeches. They have that flat look to them. I’d say they’re about 2, maybe 3 inches.

I guess I’ll try to do that gravel vacuum. That’s how I spotted them the first time. I wonder if they came in with the plants.

Thanks

Moved the decorations. Stressed out the pleco and loaches. The loaches were doing an excellent job of hiding in the decorations until they fell on the floor. I really looked hard too before lifting it out of the tank.

Vacuumed the gravel and evicted about a dozen of the leeches. Going to do this several more times, but I’m not sure I’m going to get them all. Is there a chemical method I should do or is that a last resort? The fish don’t seem to mind them, but I don’t know

Back
Top Bottom