worried about featherfin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Solarris

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 4 year old featherfin catfish in a 55 gallon tank that has been set up for almost 6 years. About 9 days ago I noticed he had a couple white spots on his belly. They are bigger than ich but not fuzzy looking like I keep seeing fungus infections described. I have not added any new fish to the tank in a few months. Right now I have my featherfin, a Black Banded Leporanis, and a pleco in the tank. I have been treating him with Melafix and Pimafix for 9 days now. I have seen spots like this on him a couple times before but they always cleared up with this treatment. I think the bigger spot may have gotten a little smaller but that might be just wishful thinking. I did a big water change 2 days ago. Before the water change my Nitrates were 20, ph 7.8, and ammonia 0. Over the past few days I've also noticed he doesn't seem to be eating. He has been on a diet of shrimp pellets and algea wafers with the occasional fish flakes since I've had him. I did add a wave maker on the same day I noticed the spots on him and he has been coming out of his hiding place a lot more since then. My husband is worried the wave maker may be stressing him since he's not used to it but I keep reading that featherfins like a current and I am hoping to add a couple bamboo shrimp after he gets better. Any help would be appreciated! Right now the only thing I know to do is keep doing what I've been doing and hope he gets better.

Here is a picture I just took showing the spots.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412129198.711662.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Where about in the tank is the wave maker and is it positioned so that it's stirring up areas of your tank that might have gone stagnant?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's in the upper back right corner next to the filter. It has a flow rate of 800 gph so it is possible. There is now movement in the whole tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It looks like he just lost a few scales, maybe hes just gettin old, usually this is nothing to worry about, my goldfish get like this when they get to mating and run into the volcanic rocks in my tank (need to get rid of them one of these days, they are a pain in the neck)
As long as you keep the water clean, he should be a ok.
Some of those rocks look fairly sharp, he probably was not use to this new power filter and ran into them, but on fish this big, minor body scrapes are usually nothing to worry about.
It probably stands out so much because he is a black fish, but if it gets too white then i would consider a stronger antimicrobal agent.

Back
Top Bottom