Worried about tanks on honeymoon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShadoeFox

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm going to be away for about ten days and have no aquarist friends to watch my fish. Food wise, I've set up a pill box with food for the tanks for most of the time (the fish will get fed early on the first night and have to fast for two more which I've read should be ok)

My question is, can I safely put pwcs of for that long if I do a larger than normal one on the day before I leave. With one exception my tanks all seem stable and the one shakey tank should be by then. I could try and show my buddy how to do a pwc but he barely understands why I keep fish in the first place.

Thoughts?

I'm going to be away for about ten days and have no aquarist friends to watch my fish. Food wise, I've set up a pill box with food for the tanks for most of the time (the fish will get fed early on the first night and have to fast for two more which I've read should be ok)

My question is, can I safely put pwcs of for that long if I do a larger than normal one on the day before I leave. With one exception my tanks all seem stable and the one shakey tank should be by then. I could try and show my buddy how to do a pwc but he barely understands why I keep fish in the first place.

Thoughts?

Depending on what fish you keep, some can go for days without food. My Moors did just fine for 5 days. As for PWC, again if you have fish/tank that are a low bio-load then it isn't going to be as big an issue as larger fish/tank IMO.

Over feeding is the #1 cause of fouled water IMO/E and if your friend is feeding them every other day, then I'd say you're going to have a water quality issue when you get home. Every 3rd day is going to be just fine IMO.

PWC just before you leave is a good idea and I'd suggest that you rinse the filter media too, so any detritus load that is built up can be brought to a minimum while you're away and allowed to build up till you get back. I'd be very leery of someone doing PWC on my tanks that has little/no experience and even less enthusiasm about fish keeping.

Lastly, Congrats! Have fun :D.

Thanks for the quick reply, and the congrats.... Vegas baby!

I pre portioned the food so there he should be good. I already plan to do a pwc right when I got home so all will hope fully be good

Back
Top Bottom