Would a Betta work in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jfoust

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone! I have this desire to have a Betta in my tank. Dunno why... I guess they're just cool looking fish!

Right now I have the following tank... 20gal tall, fake plants, big tree stump looking thing, and now a couple of clay pot caves instead of the bubbling Colosseum pictured in my sig. These are the current inhabitants:

1 dwarf gourami
2 ram cichlids
2 peppered cory cats

Everyone gets along just fine in the tank as it currently is. The Gourami is pretty good size, but the rams are only a few months old (maybe 3 or 4 months). Would a Betta be a good fish or would there be issues there? I thought about adding another Dwarf or possibly a couple of Otto Cats, but the stores near me seem to always be out of Ottos when I'm there!

Not sure because the gourami is anabatid and so is the betta...I wouldn't think so 'cause if a gourami won't get a long with another gourami(unless the tank is sufficiently large)I wouldn't think it would get a long with betta.That's JMO.I may be wrong though....

I wouldn't. Bettas are not super friendly.

I would add more cories-- they prefer to be in schools, anyway.

If you're just dying for a betta, get him his own 5-10g house. Happy betta for sure :)

A nice 5 gallon with a few live plants or silk plants. The betta has nice flowing fins other fish like to rip apart so that is the reason I leave them in their own little tanks.

We support MTS so if you want betta get another tank.

Thanks for the advice! I already have 2 tanks.. Thought about a 3rd for a Betta, but I just don't have the time for it right now - it's all I can do to work, run around after the kids, and keep our two tanks up! That's why I was thinking about tossing one in the 20gal.

My son's 10gal would be a good spot for a Betta, but his Bleeding Heart Tetras wouldn't play very nice. They're very nippy!

We also have a 2 or 3 gallon hex tank that's not being used. Any chance that's big enough for a Betta?

Any suggestions on other fish I could add to the 20? Thinking maybe Rosy Barbs or a couple of Otto Cats. I think the tank gets enough algae built up to support them, if I could ever find them at the stores around me :(

I think the 2-3G would be really good for a betta, as long as you have a heater and are able to do enough water changes!

An extra water change now and then has to be easier on the fish than the stress from fighting all the time... I used to keep a male betta with other fish but it didn't work out. My female, on the other hand, lives quite nicely with others. So males, no, females, maybe.

Dkpate,thanks for the clarification-Well aware of the affliction from the first time in this hobby,probably happen again if Maureen lets me.As luck has it what got me back into the hobby was her gift of a betta for my birthday.But back to the original spirit of the thread. As far adding the Betta to the tank with the Dwarf Gourami,don't think that would be good.Depending on personality he might get along with the Rams and the Corys but not with the Dwarf.If you do the solo Betta in the small tank be sure there is heat and filtration.The legends of these fish living on neglect are not true.They can be alot of fun with their strong personalities but a little work is involved.

Yes, people always say "Well they come from stagnant rice paddies." Well that's true, but the bettas we buy now have been bred and bred to have the long flowing fins (which the wild ones don't have) and they are not adapted to be in the same conditions anymore. I hope that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom