Would adding another light cause algae problems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missmonday

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all,

I didn't receive any answers from my original topic Here in "Getting Started" but seeing as my question is more planted tank based, I figured I'd ask it here too!

I have a 28 gallon community tank that's lightly planted as of yet, in the tank there's some water wisteria, hornwort, rotala indica, cryptocoryne lutea, cryptocoryne spiralis, amazon chain sword, and some giant hygrophilia.

Currently, there's only one light (with two bulbs), they're T5/6,700K and I have another light that originally didn't work but does now, I don't know it's output but it does say "17W", and there's a single bulb, but it's bigger than the T5.

Since I got everything secondhand, there's no little glass shield or anything to protect the light from condensation, what should I do about that? Does the tank have enough light or should I go ahead and add the second light?

Thanks for your advice!

Attachments

• 20150909_212121.jpg
    20150909_212121.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 55
T5 lights are pretty strong. Looks from the pic like your plants are getting plenty of light but that's just my opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well as far as I know, the plants I have aren't particularly light-demanding, so I should be fine? I just have the (now working) light fixture laying around, and didn't know if I should go for it or not, but thanks! :)

The extra light is most likely a T-8 bulb. You can add it if you want, but what you have should be sufficient lighting for the plants you have (as mentioned above).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom