Would like to bring my pH down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Would like to bring my pH down closer to 7. It's at 7.5 right now. I have a species that likes slightly more acidic waters and I dont want to mess with the additives in bottles. I am looking for a natural way to do this.

What species is it??

The difference between 7.0 & 7.5 is not that much unless we're talking Discus.

The best way, if you really want to lower it, is blended RO/tap water to slowly bring down your tank's KH. If you don't have an RO system, you either need to get one, or fork out for store-bought RO water..... and you will need KH test kit. You do NOT want to do it with chemicals, they don't work!!

What fish are we talking about? It's usually best not to mess with PH; most fish will adapt to the PH of your tank. Fish like stability above everything else; fluctuating PH can cause more problems than a slightly higher PH.

Peat moss & driftwood are 2 natural ways to lower ph. However, they may discolor your water. Its usually best to leave ph alone as long as its stable.

Don't waste your time. If you were able to marginally lower it using peat or whatever, it means you would only be able to add untreated water for water changes, otherwise you would have the pH bounce every time you did on. Your fish will do fine at that pH, and as mentioned already stability is better than ideal.

Last edited:
Alright I will do nothing! Haha that is the best! I will be adding some drift wood when I get a BN pleco but not for another month or so. I picked up so Congo tetras an was worried about my ph because they tend to like slightly less than 7. I'm not that worried and was just curious. I know that shells help raise the ph, and understand the 8th grade science behind it. Just was curious about going the other way more than anything else.

Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom