Would the rocks in my area be safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redruckus

Aquarium Advice Freak
I live on the north shore of lake superior and there are alot of very nice round mamazingly colourd rocks mostly granit and shale but ther are a few other types i havent been able to identify would these rocks be safe for my aquarium or do i have to worry about having and hiden minerals or metals that would some how leech out of the rocks and kill my fish...i would obviously give them a thurogh boil befor it put them in my tank

Pour some vinager on the rocks, if the vinager bubbles the rocks are unsafe. Also make sure you scrub the rocks off pretty well.

the rocks i would br getting a very sun bleached or from beaches so boiling them for 30min or so would kill anything on the rocks. i am goin to try to pick rocks that dont have anything growing on them.. but the vinager trick hope fully works but i know that works with very dangerous rocks im thinking after a few months what would end up in my water if it has small amounts that dont react but leach overtime

from what iv read im worried about quartz in the rocks because sometimes i can hold trace metals like copper and iron that can be deadly to fish

All the shale and slate around here is black. I would say you would be safe with anything that doesn't have shiny sparkles, isn't lava rock, isn't crumbly and passes the vinegar test.

Back
Top Bottom