Would this work as a small refugium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Mantis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm stuck at work with nothing to do, so i figured I can plan out my weekend with a little project. I have a 10 Gallon aquarium I was thinking of modifying. Here is what I came up with. I borrowed a few ideas that I found online and tweeked it a bit. im not sure if there will be enough water filtering through the LS to fill the LR rubble and chaeto algae. What do you guys think? Any advice is always appreciated. :confused:

i don't see how the water would go through the sand and into the return chamber without a constant sandstorm happening. also, whatever fish may be in the tank could be easily sucked into it. i would seal it all the way to the bottom and have it or like a nanocube or like the tank in this vid...
YouTube - 1 gallon reef tank tour
he made a spraybar but im sure you could just put a hole in the acrylic to return it.

Thanks for the Vid HockeyGMC, that'll be perfect. I was thing the same about the water not being able to go through the sand. Seriously I love this site. thanks again Hockey :BIG:

no prob. i wish i knew about this place when i was starting up, would have saved much money and time.

The general idea is sound. You just need to modify it a bit more. The flow from the "tank" portion should fall over the top of the baffle and down into the fuge portion. This is basically a Nano cube or a bio cube. You can certainly do this your self. A piece of black acrylic and a power head and you are set.

Back
Top Bottom