WOW!! Algae gone.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orangepunkins

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 10 gallon tank that I've been having issues with for awhile. I haven't been able to find the balance between the lighting and algae issues. I have eco complete and canister filter with led lighting on it. So for awhile I have been battling algae issues. From stag-horn algae to brown algae to fuzzy algae. All kinds. I even have had the slimy green algae which I found out comes from dead spots (no flow of water)and its a bacteria issue. Ok so what I did yesterday was I took the large driftwood out that seems to be the issue with the dead spots. And I got some platys (4) and 1 otto and 3 nerite snails. I did a little cleaning to try to clean up the algae issue. I also realized that my Finnex light I was able to dim the brightness on it so its now not so bright. I went to bed and then work today came home and HOLY SMOKES where did all the algae go? My tank sparkles!!!!!! There is not a spec of algae around. And I had a lot on the heater. Nope no more. I'm off to a good start I hope. (y)

algae?

Hello! I have had a new 20 gallon tank for a month. I have a gourami and some tetras living nicely together. (Purchased Mollys but both have died I think by stress from gourami who is territorial and chases adn new mollys I add) the tank ick a few weeks back and I treated it with salt which worked great!

But now I have noticed this brown algae in splatters on the rocks and coral. any ideas what this is? And is it bad?

algae.jpg

algae2.jpg

Hello,
I'm not sure what might be the cause of it. I do know with my different algae's there is either a lighting issue, to much food, not enough water changes,or dead spots in the tanks. (those are caused from a no water flow). In each of my cases of different algae issues I had to try different things and sometimes it would solve it and sometimes not. Sorry I can't be of much help on that.

IME I would Say this is a lighting issue, too much power behind the lighting or too much of it for the tank to handle in one day. Cut back to 6-8 hours and Plecos (I recommend a baby bristle nose if you can find one or even Otos) love that algae or you can simply take the decor out and scrape it with a card of some sort(school id, credit card, etc) good luck.

It's only bad if you decide you hate it. I think a tank without algae looks like a house without furniture.

Back
Top Bottom