Wow, liveaquaria is going a little crazy...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:? they should have a special list for zoos and places that are confirmed to have facilities to care for these creatures rather than online for just about anyone with $$ to get them.

They do a good job listing tank requirements etc. It is not their place to be a moral judge and jury. People have to take responsibility for their own actions IMO.

My LFS just got a couple of Arapaima gigas in stock last week. The owner of the store told me that it took three years for the paperwork to go through and the fish to arrive. One of them is already marked as sold.

Both of the profiles of the fish do list specific information on the fish and their aggressiveness and sizes. And both profiles note they should be purchased by expert aquarist's. IMO they have done a far better job than most lfs's do in educating.

At least their not selling them for some dirt cheap price where everyone can afford it. If they did there would be tons of them going out to people with small tanks thinking that they would (a) eventually get a bigger tank, (b) return them when they get too big, (c) release them in the wild or (d) let them grow in that 55 gallon tank until the fish dies a premature death from numerous causes.

I bet someone willing to fork over $250 for a fish is going to be better equipped to handle a fish like that. I think twice before spending $15 on a fish, but I guess I'm cheap. Although I do buy quality equipment because its worth the extra money.

My local fish store recently had an Arapaima Gigas as well. They had him listed at $299. I almost fell over in shock when I saw him....the clerk I talked to had no idea about this fish.....I felt compelled to notify him of the potential beast they had on their hands.

I love the bit about Arapaima reaching only 5' in captivity....they had better tell that to the numerous 6'-9' specimens that I know of.

But at least they have this notation:

Please note: We guarantee that ALL aquaria species we offer will arrive alive and in good condition. However, because of the increased level of care required for this particular species, it has been designated as "Expert Only," and it is recommended that only the expert marine aquarist, zoo, or research institution purchase this species.

OOooh... so uh... how long could i keep my two babies in a 10 gal to grow out... Ill be upgrading I swear. Also, is there anything else I can get with them... they seem kinda stressed and I think they'd like company Maybe a school of 10 neon tetras and maybe like 10 tiger barbs?? :roll: 8O 0X

I believe they sell a couple species of octopus as well, also designated "expert only." :?

lets just say, if you have that kind of money to purchase that fish you should have the tank large enough to support it. otherwise people are just nuts, but the tiger fish looks amazing and i would buy that in a second if i had a gigantic glass pool :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom