Yamato Shrimp during Ich problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sjkelly817

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have just recently had a small bout of Ich and treated with Aquari-sol. I have 5 mollies, 3 yamato shrimp and 1 snail in a 5-gallon well planted tank. I noticed yesterday the snail died (it was still in its shell but floating at the top of the water, and did not respond when i touched it). I have removed the snail, but am not able to find the shrimp. Does aquari-sol kill yamato's?? also, next time this happens, can i put the shrimp in a fish bowl without filtration and air during ich treatment?

Here is info from the package: :cry:

"Not recommended for use on: snails, grass shrimp, crayfish, freshwater lobster, or other invertebrates or amphibians. Active ingredient: Soluble copper salts."

Welcome to AA!

Your shrimp are dead. Sorry. The best treatment for ich is raising the temp to 86-88 F and adding a little salt. Ich meds are a pain and they often kill inverts like your snail and shrimp. Heat treatment has been 100% effective for me with almost zero fatalities and no spontaneous recurrences. Meds were <80% effective with >25% fatalities and ~50% chance of recurrence.

Thanks, I will definitely raise the temp. that isn't too high for mollies, swordtails, shrimp or snails??
To my surprise, I found all 3 shrimp just now feasting away on the plants!! So i guess they are resiliant little suckers. But next time, I will just add some salt and increase the temp.
thanks again!!!

You may have lucked out. I think the copper interferes with their ability to make their exoskeleton, but your shrimp don't grow as rapidly as ich so they weren't affected. The higher temp is fine for most fish. Goldfish may not tolerate it. Keep the temp up for two weeks after the last spot is gone. You are pretty heavily stocked which may have caused stress making your fish more susceptible to disease.

Back
Top Bottom