Yard Sale 37g Bow Front Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would get some hiding places in there ASAP, it's going to stress them possibly to death, at least turn the lights off tell you get something

I agree, water parameters are always going to be fine without an ammonia source. Now that the fish are in there, ammonia will build up fast

I would get some hiding places in there ASAP, it's going to stress them possibly to death, at least turn the lights off tell you get something

I agree, water parameters are always going to be fine without an ammonia source. Now that the fish are in there, ammonia will build up fast

I know I can see them trying to get in a corner and hide ill get picking up decor tomorrow and plants as well so the lights will be off till then don't worry!

Ok guys little update, I need some other tank mates for my large female/male because the smaller female/male is looking pretty rough, maybe some silver dollars? Idk I need suggestions!

Also I need help sexing these fish lmk if you need better pics guys, thanks.

I also picked up this beast locally for some convict fry, awesome deal! It's almost 3ft long do I'm gonna need to cut it.

Here's the pics

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130720_101815.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130720_101815.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 51
  • ForumRunner_20130720_101844.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130720_101844.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 48
Adding target fish may help, but in a tank as small as a 37 bow, it's not practical. Your nitrate will shoot throw the roof very quickly. Like I said earlier, add more cover, a lot more cover. Add the driftwood piece, add a good amount of plants, then go from there. If that doesn't work, unfortunately a larger tank would be needed to bring down the conspecific aggression

Adding target fish may help, but in a tank as small as a 37 bow, it's not practical. Your nitrate will shoot throw the roof very quickly. Like I said earlier, add more cover, a lot more cover. Add the driftwood piece, add a good amount of plants, then go from there. If that doesn't work, unfortunately a larger tank would be needed to bring down the conspecific aggression

Thanks guys I'm really happy with the dw find, I think I have enough to cut off to do another tank lol

And as far as tank mates, if I just keep the larger female/male? What other fish could I throw in?

Thanks guys I'm really happy with the dw find, I think I have enough to cut off to do another tank lol

And as far as tank mates, if I just keep the larger female/male? What other fish could I throw in?

None really...Any species large enough to act as targets would add too much bioload. Anything that wouldn't affect the bioload as much are more than likely to be eaten. You could try some buenos aires, but be prepared to lose some, if not all. I normally would suggest a minimum of a 55 for Texas (either herichthys carpintis or cyanoguttatus). A 4 ft tank would allow more options unfortunately

****, I don't mind a single texas but I might try some silver dollar tetras or buenos aires in there after my move

Silver dollars are not small, some species get the size of a dinner plate

Ok then what are some small silver fish I could put in there just to swim around I don't mind if I lose a few these texas cichlids are high protein aren't they?

I guess you could do like 3 SD and just keep switching them out as they grow and do about 2 water changes per week, but I'd go with buenos aires tetras personally

Back
Top Bottom