Yasha and Pistol Shrimp Combo and Compatability Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Star4latecomer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

I recently set up a tank. I started with coral and finally decided on my first fish. I fell in love with the Yasha Gobi and Pistol Shrimp. The duo have been doing well and enjoying an entire 29 gallon tank to themselves. I'm starting to plan my second fish and am torn between a fire fish or a jawfish. Eventually I want to have clown fish, but that won't be for a while until my hammer coral and frogspawn grow more to act as hosts to the clown. Does anyone have a Yasha and Shrimp combo with other fish? What's in your tank?

This is pretty rare but I bought a pistol shrimp last week and he apparently didn't like my firefish. Not the lfs had him for a long time and they said afterwards that he would push fish and other shrimp out of the rock I'm their display. Ok well my thinking is the firefish liked to stay in the rock and I think with him being a type of goby and some people have had firefish form symbiotic relationships with pistol shrimp. my thinking is the firefish wanted to but the shrimp didn't.
Now like I said this is extremely rare from what I gather but it did happen and it happened overnight. I only tell you this so you won't be so shocked if it did happen. I think with you already having the shrimp and he has his territory figured out you would be fine. All I know was it was a little shocking and upsetting and he got a $20 meal before he got returned to the lfs and a six line wrasse took his place as well as a new firefish

I have a Firefish and yellowheaded jawfish. I really like them both. They live together in a burrow. I started with Firefish and got the jawfish later. The jawfish initially kicked the Firefish out of her burrow, but then a few days later she moved into the burrow with the jawfish. It's cute. The jawfish will kinda start grabbing at the Firefish when it gets about 10P, then the jawfish goes in the burrow and the jawfish closes the burrow with shells. I don't think I could pick only one of them, either would be great fish.
What kind of pistol do you have? Candy cane or tiger, another kind? If its a good size, I might be hesitant to put another burrow-dwelling fish in there for fear of them running into each other and problems happening. Candy canes pistols are pretty tiny, though.

Back
Top Bottom