Yay! Done with first fishless cycle!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TCool

Aquarium Advice Activist
Over the past month while dealing with my 55 gallon I decided to set up a tiny 2 or so gallon tank that my girlfriend had laying around. Fed it with fish food, and now the cycle is done! Checked today, Ammonia 0, NitrItes 0, NitrAtes 40. Gonna do a 50% or so change and thinking of grabbing a betta or some small fish to keep in there.

Any suggestions? I know Bettas are usually kept in tiny tanks, but is it really good for them? Will a 2.5 gallon be enough to keep a Betta, and keep it healthy? Or, should I just get some other type of super small fish to keep in there?

A betta since they are agressive and don't need any other fish in the tank with them. By the way, what does imo mean? I keep seeing that everywhere.

a betta will be fine in that size tank, its not big enough for anything but a betta imo

Oh, I thought those tiny neons stayed very small and a couple of those would be ok in there.

But, I actually wanted a Betta, just wasn't sure if the way they are normally kept is actually ok for them. I mean, in the stores they keep them in those little cups that are so small they probably can't even turn around. That can't be healthy for a fish, but I guess if they survive in there a 2.5 gallon will be like the ocean to them. :lol:

Oh, I thought those tiny neons stayed very small and a couple of those would be ok in there.

Well neons are schooling fish so they like to be in groups of 7-10 and their an inch each so thats a little bit too much for a 2.5g. But that's great that you want a betta. They're fun and each one has its own personality. I love my betta, Neptune lol.

I have a betta in a 3 gal and he loves it because i ahve a strong filter and he likes to swim against it and attack his own reflection, go to my profile if you want to see him

Well neons are schooling fish so they like to be in groups of 7-10 and their an inch each so thats a little bit too much for a 2.5g. But that's great that you want a betta. They're fun and each one has its own personality. I love my betta, Neptune lol.

Ahh, I see.

I have a betta in a 3 gal and he loves it because i ahve a strong filter and he likes to swim against it and attack his own reflection, go to my profile if you want to see him
That betta you have is pretty sweet looking! I love the bright red, kinda wish I could've found one that color. But, I found a pretty nice looking blue/red crowntail betta. Just got back from picking him up a couple minutes ago.

Back
Top Bottom