YAY!! NEW PICS OF THE 55gal and the new JD's i got!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

christerrell2k3

Aquarium Advice Regular
well as you know of the struggle i had with buying the the 46bow from wal-mart (evil place) or the 55... i went ahead and got the 55... moved all the filters to there, alittle bio-spira, a little praying and everything is running smooothly!!! and i have new JD's!! YAYYYYY!!!!! i cant wait tell i finish bleaching all the texas holey rock that i have to go in there... thats when the smaller JD's will go in! I cant wait!

http://www.geocities.com/christerrell2k3/index.html
THERES THA LINK TO THA PICS!

Just beautiful fish chris; not quite sure about the Buddha tho ;)

Lookin good. I would get some nice rocks and make caves, cichlids love caves.

Great looking fish Chris!!! I'm glad you went with 55 over the 46 bow. Enjoy

Yeah. I really like the setup, Chris.

Brian's right.... This tank will give you great pleasure. A full 4 feet of unidirectional swimming is much more fun for larger fish such as Dempseys, esp. when they get to their full 10 inches (upgrade??? hehe--any excuse :wink: ). Plus, a 55 gives you more surface area to decorate. Tall tanks can be tough that way.

Nice job.

trust me, when that JD gets 10, hes gonna have a 75... hell maybe a 120 the way the job is going... im just still freaking out that i got 2 more widdle jd's in the other tank... the rocks are looking great, drying out in the sun as we speak.. once the rocks go in, they'll go in the big tank...

P.s.
Yall think it will be alright with 1 lg and 2 md/sm jds in the tank? beavis and butthead always stick together in that other tank..

1 med blue afr. cichlid, another small blue one that never grows, a 4-5 inch dempsey.. a couple feeder comets that somehow lived... thats it..

i rescued the cichlids from wal-mart... so that must explain the small one that never grows... :evil: damn them all! :twisted:

Most people are going to tell you no. As always your milage will vary, but the rule of thumb is don't mix Africans with South Americans. The larger Africans may be fine, but since most SAs are twice as big, gobblegobble.

Sometimes its the reverse. Some of the smaller SAs (Convicts, firemouths?) might get eaten by the larger African's (N. Venustus can reach a foot, and they're purely predators)

Well, the rule of thumb exists for more than the one reason Ferret provided. The two different groups fo cichlids live in entirely different habitats--ACs in highly alkaline water (pH: Lake Malawi 7.9-8,6; Lake Tanganyika 8.4-9.2) and SAs in relateively acidic water (generally pH: 5.5-7). As you see, there is no official crossover between their natural pHs.

If your blue African Cichlid isn't growing, this may have more to do with pH or diet than previous treatment. Do you know its species, and whether it is an algae eater (in Lake Malawi they're called "M'Bunas") or a carnivore (generally Haplochromis (a.k.a. Melanochromis) spp. from several different gena). Find this out... Send us in a picture and we might be able to identify it. If not us, try cichlid-forum for an ID.

HTH

What Madasafish states is also true. I left the ph info off because I've grown tired of pointing that out and being told by people who don't want to listen that it doesn't matter :p

Africans are in general far more diverse than SAs. Lake Malawi has at least 3 major groups (Haps, M'buna and.. er.. I forgot :p) .. mainly related to differing diets. Lake Tang has even more groups. They have very specific needs compared to SAs.

Africans do best when in a designed 'biotope' with specific aquascaping and water parameters. SAs are a quite a bit more tolerable though.

Oh, and another thought. If you have two zebras (I checked the pix, they look like Zebras, but a closer pic would help), and a difference in size between the two, then one may well be preventing the other from getting the food it needs. In a dominant-submissive (don't laugh :oops: ) fish relationship, the smaller guy often loses out hugely on food and grows at a much slower rate.

well i got them both at the same time and they looked excatly alike.. then one started growing like a beast, the one on my site, and the other just slowly grows... they are both african according to the wal-mart i got them from... i know i know i got them when i just started this new hobbie, the ph is 7 in my tank and it seems they love it... ive never had a problem with them in there..... JD and cichlids have been living together for some time now... now that i think about it for about 8 months today.

hmm... well i suppose i could put the 2 zebras into the other tank..... and just go ahead and move the 2 jds into with the other one in the 55...

If they're from Walmart, they're almost definately Kenyi's or Zebras. Both species are known to be a bit fiesty and aggressive... My large Kenyi eventually killed my large zebra in territorial fighting.

Anyone else find it funny that Walmart stocks only more aggressive territorial Afr. cichlids...

Back
Top Bottom