Yellow bellied slider turtle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rach101

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I come home and my mother is jumping up and down. Turns out, her boyfriend found a tiny baby yellow bellied slider on the side of the rode and brought it home. She wants to keep it. For now, it is about.. one maybe two inches big. For now we just have it in a tupawear(sp?) container, until we can go get a tank and heater.

What should we feed it?
And is it okay if I build a ramp and pond out of play ground sand I purchased for my aquarium?

I keep a couple of those at work. Someone donated them to us so I decided to just take them and do the best that I can. They get pretty big, and will need a bare minimum of 60 gallons (mine only have a 55 due to the small budget my work can allow for them, but when I move I plan to build them a pond in my backyard). I don't know what to feed babies, since mine were adults when I got them, but mine eat turtle pellets as a staple with fresh veggies like mixed greens.

I agree with severum. They will get quite large. For now, a 20 gallon tank would be okay, but it is going to eventually need a tank of around 60 gallons. Wild caught turtles are also harder to feed and to
get to accept food.

As for a sand hill, I don't know if that'd work. You may want to find rocks and stack them for him. Sand will get easily kicked around. Make sure he can easily get out of the water and completely dry out. You'll need a basking lamp for it as well. One that provides both uva and uvb rays.

Oh, and take pics.

Alright. We are going to get a twenty gallon until he grows out, and then a bigger tank. The sand is working out really well actually, because we have alot in there. Hes basking in the sunlight right now Via open window. We will get all the stuff needed within the next week. Until then what can we do for him such as light? Or will letting him bask in the sun all day work out.

It's really really really pretty. The markings are BEAUTIFUL. I wish I could tell what gender it was :( I think it's too small though.

Mine are both female, thank God!!! They're really cute, and mine were pets from the time they are the size of nickels, so they are used to being handled. They're very gregarious, and I can't wait to get them into a pond. It's definitely research time.... lol.

The little guys are more carnivore until they grow older. There is commercially prepared turtle food, you can also throw in fish fry and small live shrimp. As babies they don't usually eat stuff that isn't moving so don't be surprised if it is picky about the prepared food.

Hey, I have to yellow bellied turtles that are very small. They are currently in a 33 gal tank along with my kribs and there fry. Mine eat the turtle stick things as well as frozen fish food e.g. bloodworm, brineshrimp and beefheart etc...

So cute.. Yeah I actually ended up convincing my mother to let it go, as we wouldn't be able to get the needed equipment for another week.. (( And I knew she was wanting to put it in my new Fifty gallon >.> <.< )).

Wow, your mom let you get a 50 gallon? Awesome! I remember back when you were having trouble convincing her to let you get a bigger tank.

Back
Top Bottom