Yellow Lab Digging/Mouthing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twestacott

Aquarium Advice Activist
One of my Yellow Labs was doing something strange tonight that I have never seen. He was digging holes in the sand using his pectoral fins and his mouth. He was also mouthing at the glass. This went on for an hour or so.

To give some background info. He is in a 36 gallon with 4 other yellow labs. The tank has been fully cycled since March. Readings tonight were 79.2 F, 7.9ph, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and about 30 nitrate.

Anyone know why he is doing this? Is it some kind of breeding act?

I think he is seeing himself in the glass and attacking it. The only other thing could be he sees algae that we don't and he is trying to eat it but that's very unlikely.

Interesting but he has never shown aggression to the other fish in the tank. Also I am confused about the digging that he was doing. It was almost like he was sweeping the sand away with his pectoral fins. Any chance of this being a sign of breeding?

twestacott said:
Interesting but he has never shown aggression to the other fish in the tank. Also I am confused about the digging that he was doing. It was almost like he was sweeping the sand away with his pectoral fins. Any chance of this being a sign of breeding?

Some do it when breeding witch is normally layers. I've never seen a lab do it. But breeding would be my only guess for doing it. Maybe he sees himself and thinks its another male trying to take the tank of his women. Because if it was me lol I'd do that. Lol

I guess as longs as its normal behaviour and there is nothing wrong with him I will just wait and see what happens. The water parameters look good as mentioned other than the nitrate being a tad higher than I would like.

Back
Top Bottom