Yellow tang trouble with Moorish Idol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wael El-Dasher

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a couple of Moorish Idols and placed them in my DT after my yellow tang has been in there much before them.

The yellow tang is much smaller than the idols but he just won't leave them alone. Constantly trying to hurt them with his white tail blade. I remember a video on YouTube where Newyorksteelo had a similar issue. In his case he removed the idol and kept it in a refugium. He kept introducing it back into his DT until the tanga finally accepted it on the third try.

I decided to pull the tang out. He was getting all the fish on edge. He's in the QT.

How long do you think I should keep him in the QT?

A week along with a re-arrangement of the LR should do the trick.

How big is the tank?
They need a LOT of swimming room as do tangs.

From LiveAquaria: "For all but the most expert hobbyist, it is better admired in the ocean or in a public aquarium rather than in a home tank. "

Thanks, I'll try to keep the yellow tang in QT for a week and rearrange the LR and corals a bit to make it feel different.

The tank is about 125 gallons. The idols are about full grown but the tang is still young, about 3" long.

I picked up the idols directly from the supplier so I got them for $27 each. I discovered this place a bit late but it turned out he supplies most the LFS in town and he's so much cheaper than the LFS.

I researched the moorish idol for months and finally decided to give it a try. It's seems hit or miss with them. I was very encouraged by the success Newyorksteelo, had with his, so I'll give it a try. I've read what liveaquaria says before but it seems these two came together so perhaps they'll be happy in my tank.

The one fish I have that they don't like is the very persistent cleaner wrasse who won't leave them be. He wants to clean them and they don't want him touching them. But that cleaner wrasse is stubborn! He insists on cleaning them.

So far things are ok with the idols, they found a nice cave, seem to be swimming around investigating their new tank and get along with the gobies, blenny, Chromis and clowns. They're not picking on the clams or corals. They're still shy about eating in the front of the tank, it seems they pick at the food that floats around the back of the tank.

Worst case they don't settle in and I'll put them in the company tank we're building in the lobby. It will be massive.

Cheers

Wael

thats good

newyorksteelo seems to have alot of success although soemthings i what his videos and think he does alot of things wrong and gives some weird [moderator edit] information based on whats advertised

Oh well, a week after taking the yellow tang out of the DT and changing the rockscape, he's back in the DT today. First thing he did is go after the Moorish Idols.

I think he's got to go back to the LFS. I won't tolerate any fish picking on another in my DT.

I bought some small white shell clams from the fish market today. They're live, and immediately both idols started to try and eat them! Which is exactly what I hoped for as they've been very picky with the fresh food I've been feeding all my fish. I also bought some fresh squid that my very patient wife chopped up in tiny 1/8" cubes. I'll try giving them that. The LFS had a few sponges (blue) that are not doing too well because someone placed them too close to the light, so I'll pick them
up for the idols to eat.

So tang is out and given to a friend of mine. The tank is calm again. The idols are loving the clams, they already opened some and ate them. It's fantastic to see them eating!

Back
Top Bottom