Yellow Tangs and Maxima Clams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our yellow tang did not bother our clams at all. sometimes the coral beauty picked at them though.

Kat, you spoke of your clams in the past tense... what happened to them? Just curious.

My yellow tang picks around my brain a bit. I don't think it is trying to hurt it but I'm not sure it makes him happy either!

Both eventually died. One died within a month of getting home and the second died after about 3 months. First the mantles withdrew then they didn't close or open all the way then they just shrank and died. Very messy. We kept the shells for in case we want to get more, we'll have a half shell to let them attach to. We have plenty of light and the water quality is fine, I think they starved but they should not have because they were plenty big enough. The next time we will feed them. The last one died about 3 weeks ago.

My ca is at over 600. I have been diligently trying to get it down(it was at 760 at one time). My shrimp molt every 5 or 6 weeks with no problems. I have more than enough lighting with500w of mh at 20,000k and 80w of no flour blue and white. I think they just starved to death honestly.

electrikat said:
My ca is at over 600. I have been diligently trying to get it down(it was at 760 at one time).
Ca that high will usually cause bivalves to lose cohesion with the shell. If your still having that issue or similar, check your Mg levels. It's usually the culprit depending on alk levels and how much Ca you dose (if at all)

Cheers
Steve

Haven't dosed in a long time. Water changes have brought it down quite a bit. Haven't had any other problems so I've been hoping the test kit is bad. I've never dosed the 20g and it has the same high readings . My salt mix says it only makes up at 430 so it shouldn't be much higher than that in reality.

Low Mg will actually allow Ca to climb out of control without any additions on your part. Still something I would get checked as well as verifying the accuracey of your Ca test kit.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom