Yelow Tang in 28 Gal Nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pondguy427

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone. I'm new to Aquarium Advice.com, and this is my first thread. I have a 28 Gal Nano Tank with an LED hood. My inhabitants are salt water fish, soft corals and inverts. I hae a clown fish, royal gamma basslet and recently added a small yellow tang. I realized recently that the yellow tang needs a minimum 75 Gal tank. It is a beautiful addition and doing quite well. I'd hate to give it up. What is the problem with the tang in a smaller tank ? I know that they grow to about 6 ", but how fast ? Can it survive in my tank if I take certain measures to insure survivability ? Should I emove it ? Please advise. Ive had it for about two weeks.

They usually get stressed out and die in smaller tanks, they grow pretty quick, if I were you I would remove him, it's not fair on the fish...

:welcome: to AA! :)

The problem with keeping tangs in such a small tank is that they outgrow it really fast, no tang could ever fit in a 29 gallon tank. The get big, around 10-12 inches long, and are very active and need a lot of room. If you aren't going to upgrade, that's not fair to the fish, so I would suggest giving it back to the store.

Welcome to the forum!!

If it were me i would remove it sooner rather than later. The yellow really needs a 6 foot tank, even a 75g is pushing it in my opinion.

Tangs are very prone to stress related illness and one major source of stress on them is confined quarters. they really need their room to zoom. I have 3 tangs in my 6 foot 125g tank and trust me, they do zoom quite a bit. :)

I don't know alot about sw or tangs but I do know is they are very active fish and for any active fish they need lots of space to exercise. Just return him or upgrade quick.

You aren't only opening the tang up to stress related diseases but also your clown fish and your gramma. If the tang gets ich there is a good chance the other fish will get it as well.

Back
Top Bottom