Yes, I'm re-cycling my just-cycled system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kidafius

Aquarium Advice Freak
Not intentionally. My LFS just got a shipment of tonga branch. They had 2 huge chunks, 22lbs & 18 lbs. $6/lb for over 50 lbs, so we threw in 10 more pounds, hmmmmm.......LR or heroine--is this a hobby, or a sickness? Anyway, That was added in to our 120 gal, freshly cycled system for a grand total of about 180 lbs. LR, about 210 lbs when I convert the 55 into a refugium. Is that excessive: 210 lbs LR/120 Gallon water?

Also, I just took out my 640 watt Azoo PH, and added 4 Maxi-jet 300 gph, along with sump return and empty fluval 404 ( and soon to be 55 gallon refugium return) that should be enough, eh?

Added the new LR yesterday, Tuesday about 7 p.m. central. Now its 12:07 a.m. Central Thursday morning and my readings changed in the following manner:
Tuesday:
25 ppm NO3
0 ppm NO2
0 ppm NH4/NH3

Wednesday
25 ppm NO3
.3 ppm NO2
4 < x <6 ppm NH4/NH3

is the nitrite reading so quickly a good sign that the cycle shouldn't last long? Sorry for the novel. :eek:

Also, I just took out my 640 watt Azoo PH, and added 4 Maxi-jet 300 gph, along with sump return and empty fluval 404 ( and soon to be 55 gallon refugium return) that should be enough, eh?

Personally, I would add that one back into the mix somewhere. You are totalling 1200 gph with the 4 maxijets...but the will no push water all that far. I think with a the larger powerhead added you can create more turbulene.

is the nitrite reading so quickly a good sign that the cycle shouldn't last long? Sorry for the novel.

It's simply a sign that there the high levels of ammonia are being mineralized. They cycle will last as long as there is die off on the rock. There really is no way to predict how long this will take, although with that much cured rock in the system, I wouldn't expect it to last more than a week or two. You can speed it along with a couple of waterchanges ;)

Back
Top Bottom