Yet another Newbie looking for advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

westsidebill

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am just starting to consider getting in the hobby and have been doing a lot of research trying to learn as much as I can. As everyone knows, this is an intimidating thing to start with. I've been looking around at equipment for some time now and I stumbled on to what seems like a great deal (a guess that's a red flag) on a 1 year old used setup. Here's what I found:

50 Gal Uniquarium
South Coast Aquarium Stand/canopy
JBJ Arctica Titanium Chiller DBA-075 1/10HP
UV Sterilizers (don't know make/model)
Reo pump (with spare duplicate pump)
Skimmer (don't know make/model)
Heater (don't know make/model)
Lights (don't know make/model)
2+ inches of live sand
A pile of accessories (chemicals, testing supplies, lots of goodies)
- ALL FOR $850

I know some folks aren't fans of the Uniquarium, but I was thinking that for a complete dope like myself, it may be somewhat "aquariums for dummies". :)

I have a 7 year old daughter so my end goal will to be to basically recreate "Nemo" in a reef tank.

Any thoughts/advise on this used package I am considering would be greatly appreciated.
/Bill

well the tank, stand, skimmer and live sand is all good.

Dunno about all the other stuff. A lot of people are picky about skimmers, a lot of people don't use heaters, most people will tell you not to use UV sterilizers, don't think you will need a chiller.

'Sssssup Bill? Glad to have you aboard and welcome to AA!

I looked at the Uniquarium on the net and it does look interesting. All self contained. The first thing that concerned me was the pics of the bio balls in the rear compartments. Thoses things work nice at first so I understand - by holding on to that good ammonia consuming bacteria, but later become a problem. Wondering out loud if they can hold small pcs of live rock rubble instead. Much better IMO.

I'm sure the components (heater, skimmer, pumps, etc) are the proper size for the setup, but ya gotta find out what kinda lighting you have first of all. The success of a reef depends on it. Fish only is another story. Almost any low powered light will do, but it won't be as pretty either.

The live sand. Is it new, in a bag? Dry, in a bucket or the tank? Under water, without pumps on in the tank. If either way, it's not "live", just has the ability to become seeded with live organisms again.

The best thing you can do right now IMO is get you a copy of Robert Fenner's "Conscientious Marine Aquarist" book and give yourself some time to absorb that first. Older book, so ignore the part about cycling the tank with fish, but the rest is a good beginner's reference.

The, get a handle on your equipment specs and know those. Let us know more when you can, and get that info updated on the "my info" tab so we can help yu out better.

Good luck! And go slow. It'll pay off.

WELCOME TO AA!!

I agree, you have some great advice, there. I'm not sure if you really need the chiller either.

If you dont need the chiller I`m sure you could sell it. Everything else sounds good including the UV light. DUCK. Everytime I say that I have to watch out for tomatoes being thrown at me. Other than that it sounds like a good deal. I totally agree with AD about the LR rubble instead of bioballs. And I almost forgot, Welcome to AA :flasingsmile: :flasingsmile: :flasingsmile:

If the owner had a chiller on it then maybe he had heat issues with the set up? Something to thin about.

to recreate nemo, youll need a bigger tnakeventually, too. you could certainly get nemo and marlin in there tho!! LOL. dory will have to wait for the bigger tank, but im sure your daughter will be pleased with nemo!! welcome to AA!!

Back
Top Bottom