Yet Another Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ficklewinds

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I haven't had a serious aquarium since I was a kid and well, I can't really count that one as it was taken care of mainly by my parents.

Anywho, my husband and I are moving into a new house soon and I recently bought a 36 gallon bowfront aquarium and stand. I got a wild hair up my rear and I decided it would add ambiance to the place and well, I love animals and really remember enjoying the one way back when. I admit when I started out with a random desire to get some fish, I didn't realize all the work involved. After getting the tank, the stand, and then endlessly researching all involved, I realize I've just jumped into something that could be a little more than I bargained for.

But that's okay. I like a challenge.

Edit - And sorry for the book post!

We'll be moving in about a month after some renovations are complete and I figure I could go ahead and set up the tank to start cycling while we finish the last few touches. I'm over at the new place daily, so I can keep up with water tests and changes as needed. I think a fishless cycle will be better for me since it'll be a month or longer anyhow since I can get fish and I've never been a fan of needless torture. (Which, wow, my poor poor goldfish I had all those years ago when I didn't know what I was doing.)

This is my set up so far:

Aqueon 36 gallon bf
Aqueon quiet flow 30 filter
Aqueon quiet flow 50 filter (I listened to a friend and think this is probably overkill but why not)
Current USA LED plus light (replacing the flourescent that came with the kit)
Versa glass hood (which after I looked at the kit I didn't need it, but meh, extra hood won 't hurt)
Heater that came with the kit
Python water changer/clean thing
Tetra whisper air pump for my husbands enjoyment mostly
A few decorations I picked up at petsmart
LED bubble wall
Water testing kit

I guess what I really need help with is this:

I bought 3 20 lb bags of Eco-complete because I wanted to try out some live plants. (low light beginner plants) Well, after receiving the bags today, I've become concerned that the cory catfish I want to get eventually won't do too well with it. I've seen mixed reviews and I want to do right by the fish I get.

So I'm debating returning it and getting some Caribsea Instant Aquarium Tahitian Moonsand as I do like the idea of a black substrate. I read this is better for diggers although not so great for cleaning. I can live with that. I think it would be easier to start out with something I'm keeping than put something down and have to change it later. Will plants be okay with this? Should I just keep the eco complete?

I'm hoping to put the aquarium together this weekend and will be picking up some plants afterwards. Will they do okay until I can get fish? I read that they somewhat help with a faster cycle. I do have some ammonia handy to start it. The closest LFS is about an hour away, so I'm going to be relying mainly on Petsmart and the net until I can head that way.

Needless to say I'm a bit overwhelmed with all this, but I've jumped in head first and I'm determined to swim my way back out. :) Lord knows I've spent enough money and haven't even got fish yet! (And mostly on stuff I apparently don't need, yay LOL)

Any help and suggestions you guys have will be greatly appreciated. Other than cory's, I'm not even going to start worrying about fish right now. I've played around with AqAdvisor, but really no point until I can go buy them. Is there anything I've left out that I'm going to have to have?

Last edited:
Eco complete should be fine for the cories.

I believe the plants would be fine without fish for a while.

Don't worry, once you get set up its really not very hard to maintain a low light tank.

To get plants you should look on the clasifieds section on the forum here. You'll have better selection and prob pay less than your lfs.

It also wouldn't hurt to get some flourish excel, is liquid co2 for the plants ( or metracide 14 which is basically the generic)

What you might be able to do to speed up your cycle is go to your lfs and ask them for some established filter media. Once you get that, buy a fish at the same time to feed the bacteria. I guess this is technically a fish in cycle, but the fish will not be harmed.

Sounds great, and I'm glad to see that you went overkill on filtration! Actually I have a smaller version of your tank (26 gallon) sitting next to me as I type. I think Aqueon is the one with "A hair up their rear" for only giving you a filter for a 30 gallon. I am actually going down the same road as you, and just so happened to pick up an Amazon Sword plant for my tank earlier this week. Your substrate should be fine for cories, but they don't mind gravel either. However, when you said that you don't even want to think about fish yet, you should do the exact oppisite. Just go on the petsmart site's live fish section, and see if theres anything that really catches your eye. Then write all those types of fish down and research them. Planning ahead is a good thing to do, while going to the fish store and getting overwhelmed by all the pretty fish and buying them with no prior knowledge is not. Once you research them, start to figure out which fish are compatible. Since you are going to have cories, you are going to want to rule out cichlids and any other agressive fish. Some community fish I would suggest keeping are:
Platies
Guppies
Swordtails
Tetras
Danios
Kuhli Loach (totally badass fish, like mini eels that burrow)
Otocinclus
Mollies
Rainbowfish
Gourami (maybe)
Rosy Barb
Bristlenose or Rubber Lip Pleco (NO COMMON PLECOS THOUGH, THEY REACH 2 FEET AND ARE POOP MACHINES)

Those are all great fish that would be perfect for that tank, all of which I have experience keeping so just respond if you have questions. Some other advice I would give you is to have patience. That is a totally cliche tip, but its very true. Keeping fish is a hobby that can make you very impatient sometimes no matter who you are. Take your time and always remember to care. Rushing things = disaster. Don't rush your research, and don't rush getting all your fish. Let the nitrogen cycle do its thing and add fish slowly. I killed my whole tank (all but 1 fish) by being impatient. I didn't take my time while picking out my fish (picked a sick fish) and it gave my whole tank ich. I could have avoided that problem by watching the fish carefully to see if they show any signs of sickness. But my point being is that losing 5 minutes out of your life to finish reading that article about ich symptoms won't kill you. To wrap this up, I have one more tip. You will probably spend a lot of money. Fish keeping is an expensive hobby, and to maintain your tank, it can sometimes cost a decent chunk of change. But then again, I'm only 14, and don't have a major malfunction as far as paying for my supplies goes. Lastly, check out these channels for some more info:

https://m.youtube.com/user/therick2325

https://m.youtube.com/user/Dustinsfishtanks

https://m.youtube.com/user/pondguru

https://m.youtube.com/user/cloud9aquariums

They are all great channels and will help you immensely. Thanks for reading, and best of luck!

Ugh i hope the thing i've been typing for the last 45 mins went through

Well crap it didn't

Hate when that happens. . This hobby can require some work to launch.. once you get it going it will hoe fully be the weekly water changes and some plant trimmings. mainly relaxing and enjoying your fish. I would recommend getting your stock from a specialty lfs of possible, chain stores often have weak/pathetic stock that will just give you problems in the long haul..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well, to sum up what i put the first time, I actually have thr 26 gallon version of that with an amazon sword plant in it. But my tips that I said were to always have patience, do your research, and be prepared to spend a decent amount of money. Also, how you said how you don't want to begin thinking about fish now, you should actually do the oppisite. It is always good to have knowledge on your side in this hobby or in any situation. Research different community fish, such as kuhli loaches or zebra danios that will be compatible with your cories. Well, thats all I have. Good luck!

Take your time and research. I was in your shoes 4 years ago (except with a 26 bowfront). Live plants are very fun and are good for your tank. I reccomend java ferns, java moss, anubias, amazon swords, hydrocotyle sp. Japan for the foreground, cabomba, and some ludwigia/rotala. For fish I would do
1 angelfish
2 German blue rams
6 small schooling fish
6 other small schooling fish.

That should give you a lot of movement at all levels. A lot of say German blues are hard to keep, but keep up with your waterchanges and you'll be fine. Some schooling fish I reccomend are rummynose tetras, glowlight tetras, neon tetras, and cardinal tetras.

PM me if you need to know anything else

Back
Top Bottom