Yet another question about fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soccerjohn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok. I just looked in my tank at my Danios Zebras and I think that one of them is pg. She looks bigger underneath than the rest. My question is. Is there anything different that I need to do for danios compared to Mollies? This is just to neat. 2 weeks into a new tank owner and I'm having babies all over the place. :lol:

Danios are egg layers, so the fish you are looking at maybe gravid (carrying eggs) they will still need to be fertilized by a male and cross your fingers the tiny fry don't get eaten. These fry will be so much tinier than the Molly fry and risk a higher chance at being eaten. Even before they get that far, other fish will eat (or try) the eggs while the male is trying to fertilize them--resulting in no fry.

So should I put her in a breeder net or plastic tank or just leave it up to nature. I read that if you add clear marbles to the bottom of the tank that it helps so that other fish can't get to them or something like that.????

Marbles, plastic egg crate. Just keep in mind that you are going to be quickly overrun with fry if you're not careful!

If you put her in a breeding net the male can't fertilize them, so provide lots of hiding places like fake/real plants, esp. java moss, and that way there is more of a chance.

There is a type of plastic breeding tank. Maybe can try those.
Make sure there is no shrimp or any bottom dweller (cory, loach,..) in the tank wil help too.
I seen my black neon spawn several times in my tank but so far no fry have survive yet (i did not separate them into breeding tank).

If you do have fry, Hikari's First Bite will help. Try not to feed them wit live food 1st or they will end up not taking dry food when they grown. I lost who batch of betta fries as i fed them with live atermia 1st month, and all end up not eating any dry food.

Now i have the second batch start with Hikari's food and all doing great for past 2 months.

IMHO, it really pain in the A :wink: :wink: need to hatch Artermia every other 2-3 days in the Starbuck plastic cup.. :D :D

FYI Artemia need to detect salt(i use aqua salt :D :D :D) for hatch (i tried without salt and they wont hatch), and they are really tiny to scoop up with any other method so as you feed, your fry tank's salinity will increase in time and you need to partial water change every few day to control the salinity which also quite dif as the fries is also tiny winny and adventurous.

But if you still want to try live food, i use Azoo's Artemia which i rated 8 out of 10.

20ml stringes around will be handy too. The 20ml attach with 20-30cm air
tube will be good tool to catch the tiny fries or use to serve fries with the hatch Artemia Latte. :D :D :D :D

HTH

Back
Top Bottom