Yeti's 55gal FW Journal (Pix and Flix)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've heard the moss adheres better if you apply it really really sparingly and tie it on somehow. I bought a clump, tossed it in the tank (strategically, I swear!) and had floating moss clumps in my tank for forever. It grew to like 3x the original size in a month, I just gave away about twice what I bought, and I just pulled out another chunk... some of the moss has adhered to my driftwood and coconut cave, but it's just just starting to. I think it's REALLY hard to maintain with a lot in there (and it collects uneaten food, diatoms, other algae etc like you wouldn't BELIEVE) - so I'm trying to "start over" with a think layer of the stuff where I want it, keep it well-trimmed, etc. It looks SO NICE in those super-crazy planted tank pictures I've seen, and absolutely NOTHING like that in my tank....

So anyway, I'm just suggesting, from one newb to another - you might want to use a little less on the ruins to start with, help it adhere and start growing IN a shape rather than using a lot and trying to tame it... it gets away from you! But I'm curious if people with more experience will say I'm nuts (and if they do, listen to them! :))

yeah ive heard the same, I was thinking about taking out more and just leaving barely any , like you said to "start over" its best to use a light rubber band or a durable twisty tie, even some thread or whatever and just cut it off when it finally adhered and takes shape

Update: somebody at work is giving me 2 10 gal so i gotta figure out what to do with them, I think 1 will be a quarantine tank for when i get new fish from the LFS and for fry IF i end up with some.

the other I dunno yet either make a nano reef tank, a planted tank, something fun for my betta, or get a snake i dunno yet.

Update again: Was trying to find some statues for my tank but couldnt find anything good.. so I decided to make them here is a [photoshopped] picture of what they will look like.. they are about 3" high total.
img_795650_0_c00b553239b813a2f4b21dc7c84baa63.jpg

They are in order: Cerberus, Harpy, Centaur, Minotaur and Medusa. I am looking for a Hydra and a Cyclops as well but these will work for now.. Lemme know what you think

Monday April 16th, 2007

Decided to 'prune' and aquascape my tank. I took out a LOT of java moss and decided to 'vine' it up the columns and hold it in place lightly with rubber bands. Heres some pix of the work:
img_796236_0_4cf0510b2d1c0e379c1a3ec69604045a.jpg

img_796236_1_effe371c389f48261271c0a72a296a09.jpg

img_796236_2_c8b9557f4a160a3637128007aff2d73b.jpg

sorry for the lighting/quality I took them with my phone. once these start to show signs of growth I'll cut the bands slowly and hopefully they will have attached by then =)

Love the vined java moss. It'll be interesting to see if that shape is maintained as it grows, etc... but it looks fabulous. :) The columns look cool too, but what are the figurines made of?

jinmon said:
Love the vined java moss. It'll be interesting to see if that shape is maintained as it grows, etc... but it looks fabulous. :) The columns look cool too, but what are the figurines made of?

thanks the moss should hold its shape as long as I keep it pruned as it grows.. the figures are made of pewter and plastic and will be painted and hot glued to the pedestals and once they are cured properly and thoroughly they will be added to the tank..

Wednesday, April 18, 2007
So sad, test kit didn't show up today.. hopefully tomorrow, my neighbor has a black angel to give me.

Thursday, April 19th, 2007
I got my test kit today and tested the water here are the results:
Code:
Temp: 80F
NO3: 0
NO2: 0
pH: 7.6
NH4: 1.0

so i think ill do a 20% PWC and Im ready for some fishies!!! what do you guys think?

should I even do a PWC or just toss some bad boys in there? a friend told me i can have her fish and basically if I dont take them tonite they are going down the toilet!!

its a pleco, molly, some tetras and an angel

You could get the fish, keep them in a bucket while you change the water and then acclimate the new fish to the tank.

yeah i think im going to add them tonite and then do the PWC saturday.. the water is pretty decent for them and will be alright until sat. and Ill do a 20% then

Okay the moment you've been waiting for.. heres the fish

got about 4 Tetras (dunno what kind yet)
1 molly (white is all i know)
Angel (big black and yellow)
Pleco (big brown and spotted black)

the angel and pleco were a bitch to catch my net was kinda small. The Angel is staying in one place, same with the pleco - they are pretty stressed. As for the molly and tetras they are swimming all over picking at stuff in my moss... I sprinkled a little flake in there just for kicks but Im going to let them calm down before trying to feed them. I turned the lights off as well so they will calm down.

The angel's fin (the two on the very bottom) one of them is bent and sticks out horizontally poor guy (or girl?)

so now I just sit back and wait until tomorrow, Ill attempt to feed them in the morning..

Here's a couple pix!!
img_797352_0_39715ad517486cc6b44b1a28cce9f697.jpg

The Molly with one of the Tetras
img_797352_1_6e98f0369c4972d2579c8bcc50c2d56c.jpg

The Angel
img_797352_2_ca17e6e76903ea164262050db6b3fda5.jpg

The Pleco hiding in the back..

black hills tj said:
lookin good

tetra looks like a bleeding heart tetra but i may be wrong

Yeah they are more clear but the camera throws that off..

Oh yea almost forgot i got my FREE 10 gallon tanks today too! Here's the setups

10g #1:
Hood
19 watt Fluorescent light
HOB Aqua-Tech 5-15 Filter
Small Heater (dunno what kind or power)
Decor

10g #2:
Hood
19 watt Fluorescent light
HOB Aqua-Tech 5-15 (missing the intake hose though!)
Small Heather (dunno what kind or power)
Bag of Blue gravel

I wanna trade this decor for something that would fit my theme in my 55gal, I think I'll use one for an isolation tank the other I dunno yet maybe play land for my Betta (so he can get out of his bowl)

I need stands for these but dont wanna pay a ton.. grr

More pix!
img_797381_0_ed3106f8827c0d5bac05b847e3cb3d44.jpg

img_797381_1_3e03d1af36356ae9c7116616721d2994.jpg

img_797381_2_1799835c7e5c05c2e1d8f5a6d3ff3680.jpg

What it looks like right now.. ick

Friday, April 20, 2007

Fish are doing well, the pleco isnt moving around much but he will.. I need to think of something he can hide in but matches my theme, any ideas??

I just wanted to experiment and see if there were any difference in water conditions in the 24 hours or so with fish in there the only diff was the NO3 moved somewhere between 0-1.0 which is Minuscule.. other than that its zero's across the board. 7.6 pH still ..

Back
Top Bottom