YO YO Loaches Peaceful or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davekyn

Aquarium Advice Regular
YO YO Loaches Peaceful or not?

Some sites say they are peaceful and other say they are not?

go figure.

I have a snail problem and clown loaches are out of the quetion given that my 4 foot tank is populated enough. The Yo Yo loach was sugested but after a quick search, most people seem to wine about their agresiveness.

Can any Yo Yo keepers out there tell me that they have had no probs keeping them along side Neon Tetras?

I have a catfish tank with tetras and planty of hidding places, but will be buggered If I,ll take a school of yo yo's onboard if they start fin nipping!

I have 4 yo-yo loaches.
They are VERY VERY friendly - They even try to school with my silver dollars and gouramis'.
They think these fish are one of them - its very cute!

they like to hang in groups (so buy more than 3).

they are also extremely hardy!
I have NEVER had any problems with them.
They are much easier to keep compared to clown loaches

They also eat snails like you said !
They don't grow big either - up to 4 inches

I have 3 yo yo loaches. The main thing I have noticed with them is insatiable curiosity, but it has never gone so far as to become aggression... not that I've noticed anyway. I just added a red tailed shark to that tank that is much smaller than the loaches, and other than checking it out and the occasional chase, I haven't seen them pay much attention to it. That said, I've never tried keeping them with fish as small as neons; however, they lived for a while in a different tank with gold pristellas and glowlights and I didn't see any issues there.

Thanks Guys

These were the responses I was hopping for. Thanks guys. I have ordered 8. 3 for my smaller tank and 5 for my larger one.

I guess the others out there, that were complaining about the aggresive behaviour must of only had one, or the yo yo was too hungry and or not many hidding places. Cant get any better than 3 good responses in a row.

The neons I have are at adult size and in perfect health. (If it where not for thier colours many mistake them for cardinals) I'll take the risk.

It all sounds positive thanks again.

Re: Thanks Guys

Davekyn said:
Cant get any better than 3 good responses in a row.

Sure ya can..........here's your fourth.

I've got 2 yoyos........and they are in a 29g community see my sig for full stock specs.

But ya.........lots of adult sized neons and no problems with the loaches......they are very very peaceful in my experience.
And equally interesting.

even after my clown loaches died of ich my yoyos didnt even show a sign of it. they are very curious and arent agressive.

I have yoyo's, and they are very peaceful. So are the Striped loaches. But the skunk loaches on the other hand? LOL They chase everyone around, lol, especially each other, lol. But yes, yoyo's are peaceful.

Yoyo's are peaceful for the most part. Mine have gotten aggressive to each other once in a awhile. Not to the point of harm but to establish a pecking order I believe.

I agree with Zagz, loaches like to pick a hierarchy amongst their group. I think some see adult aggression because they don't keep a large enough group, so the yo yo goes pecking among the other fish species in the tank.

they are a nice bottom dweller (most of the time on the bottom, being lazy or just scavenging)

I'll just add that my three yo-yos have been in with 10+ white clouds for over a year and all has been fine.

Roger that Malkore & FreshwaterJeff, I'll keep an eye on that, and be sure to replace any losses among them (if it happens). I guess even the most peaceful have to find there place among thier own kind.

Mine are very curious and always searching for food, even scour the surface at times. They may sort of "sniff" other fish but that's about it. They are definitely not aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom