Yoo yoo yo 40g help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Juventus

Aquarium Advice Regular
Other then letting the water run for about a month now with my filter wht other cycling step do i need

Unless your tap water has a high ppm count of ammonia, you just wasted a month, for the most part. Letting your water run for a month with no source of ammonia will do next to nothing to cycle a tank. You have to feed the beneficial bacteria with ammonia so that it can multiply and colonize all of the tank surfaces, especially the filter.

David

Where do i get bacteria ? An what should my ammonia level be to be good ?

Initially, you need the ammonia level to be bad in order to end up being good. It'll all make sense when you read-up on the link that Rivercats provided.

David

Just so you know bacteria in a bottle is a 50/50 cr*p shoot. Many people swear by it and just as many say it doesn't work. You just need to be aware of this fact if you decide to use any.

Ammonia, which has to be pure with no fragrance, additives, etc., can often be found at hardware stores. Around here we have Ace and Handyman hardware stores that carry it. Sorry I haven't done a fishless cycle in at least 20 years and the dosing amount should be in those articles. I "think" it 3ppm but notice I said think so you need to read up to be sure your doing things properly. This also means you really need an API master test kit so you can monitor your progress and know where your at in your cycle.

I brought this from my lps is a Microlift bottle that u put in the tank it smells rally bad its special blend is that the ammonia or bacteria I need ?

Microbe-Lift is headquartered just a few short miles from my house. Their Nite-Out bacteria-in-a-bottle claims to have Nitrosomonas, Nitrobacter and Nitrospira; however, when I used the product about two years ago it did absolutely nothing in reducing the amount of time needed to cycle my tank. If I remember correctly, there was another product I needed to use along with the Nite-out, which I did not use, so perhaps that is why it did not work for me.

I have had success with Tetra Safe Start. Walmart now stocks it so it should be easy to find. It's the same product sold in fish stores, the only difference is that it has a green cap instead of the standard yellow.

David

But i alredi out in the microloft thinki so im not sure what i should do now so i guess ima just weit n see

Hi Juventus,

Please take some time to read through the links to cycling a tank that have already been provided; they're all over this forum too. The contents on those pages will provide a step-by-step guide on how to cycle a tank, and the different options to doing it.

Dumping bacterial additives into a tank with no source of ammonia will do next to nothing to get the ball rolling. Frankly stated, not only have you wasted time, but money as well.

Purchase a bottle of pure ammonia and a freshwater testing kit. Add enough ammonia to bring the total parts-per-million to 4 ppm. Maintain it at that level and in a few short weeks you'll begin to see nitrites. You'll continue dosing until the ammonia that you add gets consumed within 24 hours and you begin seeing nitrites. They will overlap, as will the nitrite and nitrate. The end result will be an elevated reading on nitrate with 0 ppm on ammonia and nitrite. This is a broad view of the process, but there are a lot of specifics that will help you understand this in detail. Research the cycling process and come back with your questions. We're all more than willing to help, but you have to do your part as well.

I hope this helps...

David

I dont mean to bother you guys with same question but i honestly recieve many diffrent answeres ! I understand the whole process and i have looked at it but my problem is purchising the ammonia my fish stores dont have or ive never seen it

I posted you need to go to a hardware store as they normally have plain ammonia. You don't want to get one with any additives, fragrances, etc. No fish store is going to carry it as it is a cleaning product.

I got it thank u im all set other then my filling the tank with fish process

Back
Top Bottom