Your Quarantine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

My quarantine procedure is:

• float the bag on top for 30 minutes then add new critters to the display tank

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • drip acclimate and add critters

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • a tank that is less than 10 gallons

• a tank that is less that 50 gallons but more than 10

• a tank that is more than 50 gallons

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • for one week or less

• for more than one week but less than a month

• for more than a month

• with low light

• with medium light

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • with high light

• with minimal decor

• with a few items for hiding and comfort

• fully furnished, including substrate

• and I fast

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • and I feed frozen food

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • and I feed fresh food

• I medicate preventatively

• Total voters

nirbhao

Aquarium Advice Addict
What happens when you get new fish? Where do they go? How long? What do you feed?

I've read boatloads of articles on what I *should* do, and I'm curious what other people on this forum actually do do.

I don't quarantine my fish, but I don't buy them from chain pet stores like PetSmart or Petco either and DEFINITELY NOT Walmart. I only buy my fish from reputable fish stores like owner owned and operated fish stores or Mom and Pop shops, or other hobbyists.

When I buy them and bring them home, I float the bag in my tank for 15-20 minutes and then I put my net over a bucket and cut the bag open a little and pour the water in the bag and fish into the net and drop them in the tank.

I feed my fish Omega One Frozen Bloodworms once a week and Omega One Super Color Flakes once a day. But I'm thinking about trying Northfin Community as it's supposed to be the best fish food out there.

I dont quarantine. I buy from breeders typically have then quarantine.

Quarantined in 40L bare bottom tank with some fake decor for hiding places but still can see fish - low light. feed as normal. water in QT is daily changes from main tank as i dont buy fish often enough to keep it cycled full time.

fish are added to quarantine tank by floating bag from LFS for 15 mins,then opening and every5 mins taking 100ml of LFS water out and discarding then adding the same of water from display tank (ie same as QTtank) when finished i just cut down the side of the bag so it opens up completley and let the fish swim away before then oukking bag out

Most my fish go to their own tank so I guess it is lifetime QT.
Sometimes I mix some or move them to another tank where others have been,and then fish into theirs.
So even though some of my fish may never meet they share much of what is in the fish room.
I don't mix fish often, and am very cautious on cross contamination issues.
You can't see everything so the pro says QT 6 weeks min.
But I will also say you have to have the eye. The eye when you buy and the eye when you are observing.
Feeding and territorial behaviors can often be bigger symptoms then an actual sore or infection on a fishes well being.

I would go with Anna 94 that's good advice but I normally introduce water from my tank after floating for 20 minutes then let them loose after 30 mins

I quarantine 1-2 weeks minimum all new arrivals. Last time I had to treat the display tank was over 4 years ago (don't wish to do that again). Then again, I don't buy fish very often.
I do a 1-2 hour drip acclimation as well.

QT all critters unless they are getting their own tank. ATM I have a designated QT. I haven't always, and will soon be selling this one off. In the future I will probably use a Sterlite tote with a few holes drilled in for the heater airline tubing, maybe a HOB filter, they have totes with clear to milky lids, a decent size and will hold lots of water.

Always I keep a filter pad or a couple bulk filter pd sized chunks behind rocks or plants in most tanks. As a double back up for illness in a tank, I can always use one from another tank that way. Also I will alwys use 2 filter pads in my HOB filters for extra BB surface and a ready extra in case I need it. I am down sizing numbers of tanks now but before I was increasing all the time so I always want an available filter pad.

Acclimate - put fish into decent size container - 5 gallon bucket (the bucket used for the dirty fish water, not for the new clean water) or gallon pitcher (think dollar store).

So say 1 gallon pitcher, make under half full of water add about 1/4 as much water from new tank they are going to go into. Then a cup of water till full about every 10-15-20 min (depends on fish and where they came from) South Denver has hard water, we have soft. I spent more time acclimating more slowly for something like that.

When the container is full I dump out (in the flowers or grass) about 3/4 of the water and continue same thing til full, dump out 3/4 of the water (to make it easier to catch) and then capture fish and add to the new tank. Never any water if I can help it in the tank from the fish store.

There are changes if there are delicate fish or shrimp or as mentioned they came from wildly different parameters. Or from a adoption from a person who never did maintenance, because a high amount of TDS can shock the fish going into cleaner water.

Then spray down the net and holding container, after rinsing well in tap water, with 90% alcohol let dry completely. Rinse before using gain.

Prime water conditioner too.

Almost always feed fish the praziquantel flake food after the first couple days of normal food, for a few days, then feed normally and then again for another day or 2.

Good idea for fish when the fish were wild caught or also for certin types of fish which have worms frequently, like Guppies and Angels.

Then normal variety of foods, bare bottom with a chunk of DW. Plastic plants and any additional live stems of what ever I have extra of, that if I had to throw them away I wouldn't be heart broken. Recently decided like the DW in the new QT tank for the tannins. So I might just grab a big ugly Mopani chunk and cut it in parts for seasoning the water in the future.

nir...

Have been in the "water keeping" hobby for a lot of years and have never quarantined new fish. My take on it is, if you keep a clean tank with healthy fish and do a good job of selecting the new fish, you don't need to isolate new ones. The chances of a healthy fish being infected in a healthy tank are next to none.

Just one reporter's opinion, though.

B

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom