Your take on API algea-fix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The boring name

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I have been battling hair and black beard algae lately and just can't win. I've scraped it all off. Done black outs. Reduced my lights to 5 hrs a day. And 90% water changes everyday. And it just keeps coming back. Here is the product ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414179607.377441.jpg

It says safe to use with live plants and fish. But I'm very relic tube putting chemicals in the tank. But it's also API a brand I trust. Anyone have any suggestions. Also I have no shrimp, crayfish etc just a pelco, angels and some black neon tetras.

It might kill what's already in there, but it will likely come back if you don't address what caused it in the first place.

I use it as a last option. It works well against hair algae but not against BBA. It will kill shrimp so that's good you don't have any. If you decide to use it, use it sparingly and make sure you have adequate surface agitation or an airstone as it has some effect on o2 levels during treatment. Also remove any activated carbon prior. Finish with a partial water change after 2 or 3 days.

You can spot treat BBA with H2O2. But I'd do this before or way after an algaefix treatment to avoid contact with the algaecide.

But as aqua_chem says, it's best to address the root cause and avoid chemicals all together.

Tom Barr, aka: plantbrain, uses algaefix in his tanks. He has some threads out their experimenting with it and its effectiveness. Here's one thread he chimes in on along with some experimenting on algae by chad. Post #8 Dr. Barr says it's safe with plants and even touchy fish. I've used with touchy fish myself with no fish loss attributed to it. I'm sure, however, if used beyond directed, then you'll most likely kill your fish and impede optimal plant growth.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=197452

Yes, research it well before you use it ("if" you use it).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom