YoYo Loach Missing an Eye!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm a little bit freaked out right now because I just discovered that one of my YoYos is missing an eye. It's right eye is completely MIA. It's not showing any signs of stress or illness at all and I've never seen any of the other fish, including the other YoYos picking on him (or the other YoYos). I'm not sure if this is a new injury or something that I've over looked. I think it's quite possible that this is an old injury that I just never noticed because to completely honest with you, up until now I've never looked that hard to see their eyes. It also doesn't look like a recent injury (red color or bleeding, etc). What could've caused this? Should I remove/QT him for a couple of weeks?

Edit: Sorry, I did it again. :oops: I think this thread should've posted in the health forum. Sorry!!!

If it looks healed over and the fish is acting normally, I would not worry honestly. It's not too entirely uncommmon for a fish to lose an eye. As long as it heals normally and healthy, there is nothing to worry about.

Just out of curiosity, how does a fish lose an eye?

dmac said:
Just out of curiosity, how does a fish lose an eye?

I assume either from infection that healed over, a sore, or it getting bitten out. Or maybe just born with a defect and no eye.

I've, sadly, seen cichlids tear out the eyes of plecos before(not both of them)...but the pleco just swims around fine afterwards. A little stunned but it heals and nothing comes of it.

Back
Top Bottom