YoYo Loaches and PVC Pipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DFly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am think of putting a cave network under the sand of my new 29 gallon using some PVC for my YoYo Loaches. Would 1.5" PVC be large enough? I have not been able to find sizing information on their diameter.
Each cave is going to be a 3" piece of with cap then a reducer to a Z connector with an 3 " above ground 1.5" pipe. I made the top of the cave see through by cutting a hole in the 3" piece of piping and gluing a sheet of tinted acrylic over the hole so I can spy on them in their "dens". Essentially make a buried under ground cave. Would a 1.5" pipe allow one directional movement (entering and exiting)? Would a 3" piece of pipe work to allow them to turn around? Originally started building these with Kuhlis in mind but now have yoyo loaches planned. There is gonna be 3 of them, 1 for each.

Last edited by a moderator:
Duplicate Comment

Last edited:
I am thinking you might experience issues with stagnant water. Maybe holes drilled for flow?

Why so long and z shaped? Maybe unnecessary?

I really like the spy/viewing window.

How will you keep them anchored to not float?

I can easily put some holes in the top of the den and in the tubing, that is a good idea.
I made it so there was no sharp angles because I was afraid the sharp bends would impede a fish from getting in and out. It is probably unnecessary with such flexible fish but I was worried a loach would get in there and not be able to get out. I got the idea from seeing some PVC turned into above the substrate caves, so I wanted to try some subterranian caves. The whole unit is only about 9-12" which isn't horrible long for my 29g.
The keeping them sunk part I am still workin on. Once they flood and are buried in sand they are fairly stable especially because I glued sand to the surface of the pipes to disguise them and filled them with a bedding of sand. My plan is if they don't stay stuck is to glue larger rocks to the base to add additional weight.

Back
Top Bottom