YoYo - odd behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neilanh

Sliced Bread
This just started a day or two ago, but one of the yoyos is freaking me out. I have 3, the 2 larger ones are extremely active and eat everything. Then there's the other 1. The past 2 days I'll find him laying on his side, breathing erratically. I've even found him laying on his back completely upside down. When I go up to him, sometimes he'll stay there, other times he'll turn over and swim off like nothing was ever wrong. He spends part of the day acting like this or hiding inside the wood cave, and the other part of the day swimming around, playing, eating, etc. I put in a slice of blanched zuccini last night, and he attacked it like it was going out of style.

I'll mention that I'm on the tail end of treating Ich. All the spots of ich have been gone for about a week, but temperature is still up in the 87-88 range. Water level is low and a Whisper 60 is blowing wide open into 2 airstones in the tank.

No other fish are showing any symptoms of anything, and everyone else is acting and eating normally.

Water params are good and stable
pH 7.4, ammo 0, NO2 0, NO3 6-10. Weekly 40-50% PWC.

I don't know what to do with him, so for now I'm letting him be. Any insight here?

My yoyo lays on his side too; it's not uncommon for them to be found on their sides or upside down. Some do this more than others. My yoyo has his little cave that he stays in most of the time, also common loach behavior. When I peek in at him, his mouth starts going and it looks like he's talking to me (might be the erratic breathing thing you're talking about). If he is eating, pooping, and otherwise acting "normal" the rest of the time, I wouldn't worry about it. He might just now be feeling at home in your tank and so is letting it all hang out, so to speak. They are characters...

All my yoyo's behave like that from time to time. My clown loaches are even worse. I'd keep an eye on him due to the erratic breathing but otherwise sounds perfectly normal for yoyo's.

Alright, you guys are making me feel better. It just threw me off that the other 2 I got (at the same time) NEVER stop moving.

This one does what you were talking about Land, "talking" to me too. haha. The first time I saw it I thought he was throwing something up. lol.

But that's aside from what I was calling erratic breathing. He'll take 4 or 5 puffs of air rapidly, then no gill movement for 10-20 seconds, then he'll do it again. I know the higher water temp may be partially at least responsble for this tho.

This one has been laying around since I got home an hour ago. I just fed some frozen bloodworms, and he was pushing the other 2, which are bigger than him, around to get to them!

Thanks guys, I'll stop worrying now.

When I first got my Yoyos I didn't know about them laying on their side and everything. I actually thought one was dead and reached in to pick him out, until he righted himself and darted away.

Back
Top Bottom