Zebra Danio behaviour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tabbiespice

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys and gals

Hope you can shed some light.

I am new to Danios having never kept them before. I have a group of 7 in a 240l aquarium helping me me cycle it.
Up to now its going well and my water chemistry is spot on

This morning they are behaving oddly

They have started 'chasing' each other but in a weird way. It's almost as if one is displaying to the other. All fins are fully up, one chases another until he touches and then turns around and then the other fish chases until they touch again and so on and so on.
It like game of tag with only 2 players!!

If any other fish comes close they get chased too.

It is tending to be in the middle of the tank and the same fish seems to be involved (just the partners keep changing)

Is this territorial behaviours, aggression, establishing hierarchy, courtship?

They have been so peaceful till now

Thanks

Jackie

P.s. please let's not get into the fish in/fishless debate. I know the arguments and as mentioned my chemistry is bang on at the mo.

Never had a zebra be territorial sounds like mating but could be wrong

Hi guys and gals

Hope you can shed some light.

I am new to Danios having never kept them before. I have a group of 7 in a 240l aquarium helping me me cycle it.
Up to now its going well and my water chemistry is spot on

This morning they are behaving oddly

They have started 'chasing' each other but in a weird way. It's almost as if one is displaying to the other. All fins are fully up, one chases another until he touches and then turns around and then the other fish chases until they touch again and so on and so on.
It like game of tag with only 2 players!!

If any other fish comes close they get chased too.

It is tending to be in the middle of the tank and the same fish seems to be involved (just the partners keep changing)

Is this territorial behaviours, aggression, establishing hierarchy, courtship?

They have been so peaceful till now

Thanks

Jackie

P.s. please let's not get into the fish in/fishless debate. I know the arguments and as mentioned my chemistry is bang on at the mo.

My zebras chase each other too but they don't do any harm to one another. So I thinks it's normal.

ive been having them for a year and its normal sometimes they just get mad at each other. No harm though. do regular pwc's. its not breeding though cuz mine breed and thats not what it looks like

Back
Top Bottom